SAU Community

Data Logger

MountainRunner

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys, thanks for all the positive replies and enquires. I have had my head down working fllat out on it over the break. I am now finishing off the first batch of Engine Monitors (EM PRO II) and RaceLoggers. I have installed 3 test units and posted Duncan his set (EM PRO II and RaceLogger) We will get some photo's sorted etc very soon.

The Engine Monitor will retail at $599.00 The accessory kit $99. Plus sensors. The sensors you need depend on the car you now have and what extra you want.

If you can bear with me a little longer I will have the RaceLogger pricing all sorted as well, but I expect it to be in the same ballpark as the EM PRO II.

Also I will arrange the group buy / discounted purchasing for SAU guys shortly with the members who will represent me and can arrange installations etc.

Is there any opportunity to interface this unit to say a MOTEC or other ECU using either CAN buss or RS232 so you can use the ECU sensors?

We are working to get the EM PRO II to interface with the new range of Vi-pec ECU's including the new Skyline plug-in item. A unit and interface cable has been sourced for testing and hopefully will be available soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have spoken with Ray Hall (Vi-pec) and have all the info, specs, cables etc I need now to make the EM PRO II do the remote channel display. I should have a good idea of how it will be work by the end of next weekend. I don't see it being a major problem as the EM PRO II already supports Remote channel display from my RaceLogger.

I will keep you updated.

• 4 months later...

Digging up an old thread as i would like to know how everything went with the EM Pro II, looking to get one as i hate to have a mulitude of guages.

Soooooo... whats the goss?? I assume good.

Cheers

Ross

Digging up an old thread as i would like to know how everything went with the EM Pro II, looking to get one as i hate to have a mulitude of guages.

Soooooo... whats the goss?? I assume good.

Cheers

Ross

I have Paul's engine monitor and race logger in my car. I only have some basic sensors, like rpm, oil pressure/temp, water temp speed. Soon to go in are steering angle sensor, G sensors intake temp, fuel presure etc

I did a driver training day with Mr Paul Stokell & Jonathan Webb and got some valuable data for Paul - he's crook at the moment but let me say he has some very exciting developments which he can tell you about.

The Oil temp warning saved me today on QR's national circuit- although my water temp didn't get above 90, oil temp hit 110 after 4 laps so i backed off for a cool down lap before getting into it again. Yes i run an oil cooler, one thing this has shown me is it isn't big enough!!

Hi Ross, thanks for asking about the unit. As per Simon's post the unit is about complete. I have just been dotting the i's and crossing the t's with details. There are now 3 cars that have been tracked with EM PRO II and RaceLogger setups with other cars just behind. The units are working well and we seem to have got all the bugs etc sorted out now. I am currenlty doing the data analysis software for the RaceLogger which is looking good so far.

I will get the final specs of both units together and put up a post with sample data etc. Its been good working with guys from here on these projects and the feedback has been great. Its going to be good having continued input into the data analysis software as well.

The last change I made to the EM PRO II was a suggestion from Danh with the fuel pressure alarm. It now lets you enter the rising rate regulator factor and using boost have an alarm that traces the actual fuel pressure. Makes a lot of sense as I did this manually in EXCEL when looking at my data from the May 19 track day.

Very interested in how this tracks... I'll have a chat to Duncan next time I bump into him.

This system should be adaptable to any Engine/car config?

We are working to get the EM PRO II to interface with the new range of Vi-pec ECU's including the new Skyline plug-in item. A unit and interface cable has been sourced for testing and hopefully will be available soon.

The EM-PRO II is now running in my racecar...direct plug-in to the Vi-PEC and obtains it data stream via the CAN bus. Even has its own Vi-PEC software set-up package. An excellent well engineered product...well done Paul.

Hi Paul hope your feeling better.

Im in no rush just getting some more info on how it was going. Im looking at the EM to start with the the data logger later on. Ill wait till you post up spec's.

Cheers

Ross

PS thanks for the info too Simon.

It's been great pleasure testing this product, providing feedbacks and working with Paul.

Thanks mate :mad:

The great thing about it is Paul make a wish/idea become reality with this product. The fact that Paul can customise and constantly re-program the firmware to make this unit more useful for my track car is awesome.

My EMII works flawlessly with the vi-pec as well.

Paul my next wish is to make the AF ratio warning adjustable to 2 variables; AF ratio and MAP readings. I only want the warning light to come on if my AF ratio is above a certain number during positive manifold pressure or at certain positive MAP reading.

I am sure this is doable and I look forward to the next firmware upgrade again :D

Thanks Ross, just had the flu. Feeling 95% better now. I have been using Simon's data to continue with the RaceAnalysis software. I am aiming at getting the data imput/pre-processiing lap splitting etc sorted by this weekend.

Hey Paul, thanks for hooking me up with the ViPEC it has made a greatt addition to the device.

Hi 9krpm, thanks for the positive feedback. I will see what I can do with your latest request :P

Tektrader69, I would be pretty certain that it won't work with the Motec output datastream. Having said that if you want to use the unit with your car it happily taps into existing signals. Apart from the guys with ViPEC that's how all the other installs have been done. I have made the inputs very high imedance so they do not effect the ECU at all. Dazzman has both my EM PRO II and RaceLogger in his car and it runs Motec.

Most of the additional signals you need have to be added such as a good Oil Pressure sensor / Oil Temp sensor / fuel pressure Sensor. On Darren's car we tapped into RPM, Water Temp, Intake Temp.

I have tried to make the unit totally flexible. You can load in any calibration to any channel. Rename channels if you want different functions. AKA for 9krpm's request above we will probably reallocate the Intake temp to AFR for that alarm.

Paul

Is the VIPEC CAN buss prototcal the same as the CAN used in the Motec ??

This looks really good but I am not sure if I can use it with the M800

Hey mate you wont have a problem useing this system with your M800. As Paul stated above i have an M800 in my car and have just piggybacked the output for rpm, intake temp,water temp from my Motec and just picked up motec fuel pressure sensor and will be doing the same with this signal aswell. Wheel speed signal is from the factory ecu as i still have the factory ecu in the car so is really just oil temp and pressure sensors that are required wich are probably the cheapest sensors anyway. Is really not that much extra work to wire it this way.

It would be more convienent if it did just plug into the motec via the can bus but i dont think that there is enough demand for that with the motec as i think the vipec is more within most peoples budget and I think a lot of the more hardcore cars that run motec systems would be useing their ADL2 data logger wich i could not justify the cost of at around the 5k mark before you set it up and add aditional sensors etc when Pauls product does essentially the same thing for less than half of that amount.

And as stated by 9KRPM Pauls system is extremely flexable and allows you to make suggestions to what you would like the system to ba able to do of wich Paul is more than happy to develop so the system is constantly evolving into an even better product.

I would not hesitate to reccomend this system to anyone as the price is very reasonable and having had the oppertunity to work with Paul to help develop the system he is extremely keen to constantly evolve the system and is really helpfull and takes all suggestions and comments on board. To me i would say it is one of the best value for money investments I have put into my car as a lot of people would spend as much on a bunch of guages that in the end add aditional weight take up to much room in the car and give you no data logging capability and no real option for configureing multiple warnings such as as oil pressure vs RPM just to give one example.

Hey mate you wont have a problem useing this system with your M800. As Paul stated above i have an M800 in my car and have just piggybacked the output for rpm, intake temp,water temp from my Motec and just picked up motec fuel pressure sensor and will be doing the same with this signal aswell. Wheel speed signal is from the factory ecu as i still have the factory ecu in the car so is really just oil temp and pressure sensors that are required wich are probably the cheapest sensors anyway. Is really not that much extra work to wire it this way.

It would be more convienent if it did just plug into the motec via the can bus but i dont think that there is enough demand for that with the motec as i think the vipec is more within most peoples budget and I think a lot of the more hardcore cars that run motec systems would be useing their ADL2 data logger wich i could not justify the cost of at around the 5k mark before you set it up and add aditional sensors etc when Pauls product does essentially the same thing for less than half of that amount.

And as stated by 9KRPM Pauls system is extremely flexable and allows you to make suggestions to what you would like the system to ba able to do of wich Paul is more than happy to develop so the system is constantly evolving into an even better product.

I would not hesitate to reccomend this system to anyone as the price is very reasonable and having had the oppertunity to work with Paul to help develop the system he is extremely keen to constantly evolve the system and is really helpfull and takes all suggestions and comments on board. To me i would say it is one of the best value for money investments I have put into my car as a lot of people would spend as much on a bunch of guages that in the end add aditional weight take up to much room in the car and give you no data logging capability and no real option for configureing multiple warnings such as as oil pressure vs RPM just to give one example.

OK, Thats great. I actually have a AIM dash that reads CAN off the Motec but it didnt come with data logging. I couldnt afford the really good one that did that.

But if this is high enough impedance not to screw with the sensor signals I am good with it.

Just a quick question. What did you do about the wheel speed sensors? Use the ABS senders ? I have NO factory nissan loom or anuthing else left but i am sure the ABS sensors are still in the front hubs and the diff housing.

How much was the Motec fuel pressure sensor ?

Edited by Tektrader69

The factory ecu uses the wheel speed sensors for the abs so you shouldnt have a problem there. the Motec fuel pressure sender was $240 inc plug it is a honywell sensor i will dig out the part no for you or if Paul see's the thread first no doubt he may beet me to it.

The fuel pressure sensor I have been using is Honeywell MLH100PGB06A 100PSI the connector is Motec Part: 65013

We have been connecting the the wheel speed sensor to the gearbox pulse. The way the device works is you connect it to a pulse train and then enter the multiply factor to convert it to wheel speed.

A good thing to do is get a GPS as well, then you have GPS speed and can get lap times / splits etc and if you subtract GPS speed from wheel speed you can get an idea of where you are wheel spinning easily.