SAU Community

Audiosurf

Baconer

Best $10 i have ever spent.

For anyone that has a Steam account (or those looking for an excuse to get one), go and buy Audiosurf. If you don't know what it is, its basically a game that creates a race track that is determined by the speed, beat and intensity of the song you choose to play. Hard to explain so watch these videos:

There are around 15 different game modes including avoid the greys, collect the colours, 2 player and colour match up. The best part is it can be ANY mp3, wma, itunes etc audio format that you have locally on your computer.

Its addictive though so be prepared to waste a lot of time on it :laugh:

This www.zgeek.com review sums it up perfectly.

Audiosurf is what you would get if Dance Dance Revolution had a bastard child with Fzero, and they raised it in a Tron universe.

You control a speeding car on a track, which is generated by the mp3 that you select. A slow paced song will get you a track with easy bends and gentle conditions. Load in some heavy metal and hang on as sharp turns bend and veer to the time of the music.

While negotiating the track you pass through colored blocks that collect on your grid. Once three of more same colored blocks join up, they disappear and you get points. (Think Bejeweled meets tetris.)

The whole game jumps, vibrates and pulses with the music that is loaded into it. It is a fluid, enjoyable experience that had me saying "wow!" out loud on many occasions.

You get to choose which sort of car to race in, each one modifying your point collecting strategy. I initially liked using "Pusher", which allows you to guide where your colored blocks go into the grid. However I am starting to become a big fan of "Eraser", which can remove undesirable colors from the grid. (Warm colors like red earn you more points, where as cool colors like blue are low point earners.)

At the end of each race your score is uploaded, and you can see how you did against the rest of the world with each song. I managed to earn a couple of mid and top placings with some of my song selections, however no doubt within a few days once the game spreads in popularity they will fall away to oblivion.

The game comes with a selection of preloaded mp3's to choose from (including the entire Orange Box album), however the best fun is loading up your favorite songs and seeing how they *race*.

There *is* local Co-op available, however I have not had the ability to try it so it remains unscored.

The cost is $9.95 American, and is downloadable on Steam. I think this is great value. If you are a music fan, a racing fan, a puzzle fan, or anywhere in between, its pretty hard to go wrong. There is a demo available, so you have nothing to lose.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...