SAU Community

Strange Starting Problem

jnr_j

Hi all,

I have a problem where my r33 won't start when it's cold or hasn't run for a few hours.

I turn the key and get nothing, the dash lights fade but I can't even hear the starter trying to crank over. The strange thing is that if I sit there and turn the key lots it always seems to eventually start. It took 35-40 turns thismorning (after not driving it yesterday) but when it eventually decided to go it started perfectly. If it's been driven an hour or two beforehand it seems to start fine.

It all seems to indicate that the starter isn't getting enough juice but then why would it start after 30-40 turns? Surely this would have drained anything left in the battery if that was the problem?

I've taken it to be looked at twice now but the bloody thing always starts perfectly for them (after having been driven to the workshop).

If anyone has any suggestion they would be appreciated, it has been getting progressively worse since it started 2 or 3 weeks ago (again pointing to battery?).

Thanks

(I've hunted around the previous threads similar to this but couldn't find anyone in this situation)

I had the same problem ,but only about ten tries of the key would start.I turned out to be a loose battery lead.The nut clamping the lead was tight but wasn't gripping the terminal.Other wise check the fuse connections in the engine bay

ive also had a similar problem to this, but i checked mine out an an auto elec that i know and he thought it was the alarm that was draining bit too much power from the battery when the light was always flashing. i changed my alarm and since then it starts fine...

Sounds like something that's getting heated up bit by bit with each key turn, then voila! enough contact to make a circuit. Starter relay, fuse, battery terminal etc.

Auto electrician should be able to track it down.