SAU Community

Change Of Ownership From Nsw To Sa?

MickP

Hey

I'm looking at buying a Skyline from NSW. I live in Adelaide at the moment and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or information about a change of ownership - to Adelaide? Either first hand or general info is appreciated.

Is it difficult to get a Skyline registered in SA, especially if it has mods? Do I need to have engineer reports...?

I do have some transport quotes but if anyone could recommend an interstate car transporting company I'd appreciate that also.

Cheers

Any info would be great

-Michael

While your over there transfer the rego in to your name pay the stamp duty etc.

Then you will be sent the renewal to your SA address. Pay this renewal for 3-6 + months or until you are sent a notice you are required to transfer to sa rego of which may be 2 years lol.

After that period renew again and then take it to Sturt Police station for a basic VIS and transfer to SA rego.

If you don't do it this way then you'll be up for a full VIS courtesy of Motor Reg Regency Park. :unsure:

I don't think that's right;

If you bring a car in from interstate all you need is and ID inspection which is not done at the Defect Inspection sheds at regency but at another place in regency park (or you can take to to sturt). Regardless whether you have the car in your name or not it will have to have this inspection at either of the two venues.

You only problem will be if you have obvious defect like a top mount of a mega loud exhaust. If you have obvious defects then they will send you to the Defect inspect place to have the car looked over. Also make sure you have legal tint because they always check this at the ID inspection.

Edited by D_Stirls

I was told by the local motor reg and Regency park; buy a car from interstate and it requires a full VIS at regency park. Move from interstate and all is required is a identity check.

By transferring the reg while your interstate they process it the same as if you lived there and simply move here. A little loop hole if you like.

I rung around etc when I was going to bring a GTS4 in from QLD; a mate then bought in a GTR and also came across the full inspection problem so he went with the transfer in to your name while interstate method. Received his QLD renewal at his SA address; reregistered and then popped down to Sturt for a quick identity inspection.

Obviously a highmount and you'll be slapped with a defect but the point is they don't shove it over the pits and go over it with a fine tooth and comb. :unsure:

Things change so best bet is to give Motor reg a quick buzz. Be sure to ask the right questions other wise you will receive the short and sweet answer. :(

Is it difficult to get a Skyline registered in SA, especially if it has mods? Do I need to have engineer reports...?

I bought mine from NSW & drove it around with NSW rego for 3 mths with minor mods including adj coilovers & zorst then had it checked at Sturt.

At the end of the day, if you have major mods like in your face exhaust, high mount, slammed too far, in your face bov etc, then they will send you to Regency Inspection no matter how you go about it.

So what's done to it?

I was told by the local motor reg and Regency park; buy a car from interstate and it requires a full VIS at regency park. Move from interstate and all is required is a identity check.

By transferring the reg while your interstate they process it the same as if you lived there and simply move here. A little loop hole if you like.

I rung around etc when I was going to bring a GTS4 in from QLD; a mate then brought in a GTR and also came across the full inspection problem so he went with the transfer in to your name while interstate method.

Things change so best bet is to give Motor reg a quick buzz. Be sure to ask the right questions other wise you will receive the short and sweet answer. :unsure:

No when i brought my 180 in i drove it around for 3 months on the Vic rego and then a week before it ran out I got an ID inspection done at the ID place not the Defect place. I hadn't transferred it until I had the ID inspection done.

no I didn't Joel, all the tranferring was done in Adelaide 1 week before the 3 mth NSW rego ran out.

Please note, you have to get it passed before the 3 mths NSW rego runs out or you will go for full VIS at Regency.

I was confident it would get past at Sturt so I allowed 1 week before expiry. I think Michael has a few mods so don't leave it that late, allow yourself plenty of time, but at the end of the day, if Sturt have an issue with your car, it's Regency all the way.

yeah that would make sense then, cause with no rego at all, I can't see anyone avoiding Regency Inspection.....which state the transfer is done in doesn't seem to place any significance.

Coming to Villis to get a calendar tonight Joel?

Thanks for all the reply's:)

SO if Ive read this right, I can just do the ownership change interstate and get away with driving around with interstate reg for the X months the rego is paid up for, or is it only 3 months tops?

Then I would need to have the ID check performed and VIS done prior to the expiry date - preferably 1-2 weeks.

SLED, I'm only after something stock or with minor mods at this stage. I dont want the hassle that comes with highly modified - although the extra HP would be good. In time!

Look cheers guys, really appreciate this.

-Michael

BTW, I actually drove around VIC with my SA rego car for nearly 3 years. My GF was still in Adelaide and paid the reg then sent the sticker via post. I got pulled a couple of times and the VIC cops just reminded me of the 3 month rego swap he he. But I would like this one to be legit - rego wise.

I don't think you can change ownership of the car until the rego' is changed. You will need a licence from the state that the car is in if you are going to be able to do that. They won't let you keep the other states plates unless you have the corresponding licence. The law says that you have 14 days to change the the ownership of the car once you have bought it but most people just drive it until the rego' runs out.

I don't think you can change ownership of the car until the rego' is changed. You will need a licence from the state that the car is in if you are going to be able to do that. They won't let you keep the other states plates unless you have the corresponding licence. The law says that you have 14 days to change the the ownership of the car once you have bought it but most people just drive it until the rego' runs out.

So for example: It would remain in the previous owner name until I do the change of ownership back home?

Cheers