SAU Community

Timing Belt Replacement?

lilcrash

hey can anyone recomend anywhere to take my car for a timing belt replacement. ive got 800km to organise it. i live in ipswich but im willing to drive if i need to.

ive got a series 2 rs4s stagea

thank you in advance

thanks, i have sent them an email.

is it just me or is there address no where on the internet. i must be going crazy.

As far as i can tell you are not crazy.I couldn't find an address either! I am interested in their location as i need a good workshop.

WOW!, $666 is $200 more than I paid to have mine replaced [genuine Nissan] here on Gold Coast. PM if you want details. I'd ring around if you are willing to travel.

It is impossible to compare those 2 prices without knowing what is and is not included in each price. We have done plenty of timing belts on RB's and the price varies each time depending on what seals get replaced, the condition of the idler and tensioner bearings, if the water pump is done whilst the front of the engine is apart etc.

Best bet is to make a few calls (including one to us :)) and see what options you have and what back up service you receive. We offer a 100% money back guarantee on all of our servicing work.

I can do it for you, $200 plus parts. Im a qualified mechanic. i have built many RB engines including all of my own.

i highly recommend a gates belt and if your idler and tensioner make any noise at all they need to be replaced.

this is also the time to do the water pump as suggested before. also this is the time to check cam seals and front crank seal in oil pump

as they are easy to do while doing the timming belt is off.

Those thing's are hard to quote when you can come up against unexpected add-on cost I.G. water pump's, defective water hose's ect ect.

Like mercury said, they warrent all work done on vehicle, that's where alot of people go wrong, not knocking old mate who wants to do it for $200, but if something does go wrong, not saying it will, but WHAT IF, will you cover the cost of bent valve's or whatever may happen????????

It pay's to be safe, it pay's to do it by a professional with insurance background.

$400 plus parts is a fair price...considering the timing belt kit including the pulleys, belt etc is $280 makes Dan's quote just about spot on.

I know i wouldn't do it for less than that and if anybody quoting less than that to make a dollar it would have to be a rush job. Remember the cam belt is keeping your valves away from your pistons...a rushed job and error could be very costly.

Edited by DiRTgarage

just because its cheap doesnt mean its a rushed job, and yes if damaged was cause by my mechanical work then i would be liable for those

repairs, it was just an offer, remember i dont have overheads to cover like big workshops.

Im located at the Gold Coast.

We were not saying you do a cheap job, you properly have the same qualification's as most GOOD tech's out there, true about no overheads but doing job's like this can have its rewards and its down fall's if something were to go wrong.

I applause you for having a go thou, i know alot of tech's who wouldnt dare do this kid of work outside work hour, you seem very confidant and good luck.

WHITEY

just because its cheap doesnt mean its a rushed job, and yes if damaged was cause by my mechanical work then i would be liable for those

repairs, it was just an offer, remember i dont have overheads to cover like big workshops.

Im located at the Gold Coast.

your time is a valueable thing...i wouldnt charge peanuts to be away from my family or doing things like relaxing with a few coldies around the bbq with friends. If you are good at what you do don't short change yourself...charge accordingly. I dont have a big workshop or any overheads (my mate has a 4 bay shed i work out of and gets free labour on his street/circuit GTR for the favour) either.

this is not mean to be taken as a shot at you...just my opinion and maybe some advice.

i payed just under $1k not to long ago to get my belt, water pump, seals and idlers done. apparently took about 5-6hrs to do the job. to the mechanics reading this, did i pay more than i should have or does this sound resonable.

Its how i have always been, i never seem to charge enough, just feel like helping people out and in turn they help me out.

I dont have an hourly rate, i just charge what i think is reasonable. so yes i am probably short changing myself.

i payed just under $1k not to long ago to get my belt, water pump, seals and idlers done. apparently took about 5-6hrs to do the job. to the mechanics reading this, did i pay more than i should have or does this sound resonable.

Nope, has the car had any problem's???

And they properly charged out what the book said it takes to do, that's how you cover your workshop outgoings if something was to go overtime.