SAU Community

Starting Issues

Jays_5000

Pretty much the last few weeks my car has decided to break a fair bit, latest one is it won't start.

The starter motor was replaced by a rebuilt rb30 unit no longer than 2 weeks ago after the previous one let go suddenly and co-incidentally the only time i had the car jacked up to work on it (exhaust) since I bought it.

So I put this new one in and it winds real hard but every now and again had to give it a second hit of the key for it to spin.

Yesterday I pulled the switch for my boost controller out then put it back in and now my car won't spin starter, all dash lights are on. I can't figure it out, this stupid wagons officially become the most unreliable bucket of crap I've ever owned.

If anyone else has had any similar problems with theirs, help would greatly be appreciated.

Jayson

*I am no machanic or auto electrician but here are some ideas*

This may sound silly and you have probly already done it, But check all your wiring like where wires have been spliced into (lugs, loose solders, any thing). also check your earth point on your starter motor by connecting the -ve connection (or earth point) on your starter with one lead of your multimeter and touching the other lead to the body of your car (where there is no paint) and reading the ohms value im sure it should be less then 1. Make sure your starter motor is actually getting voltage when you turn your key by placing multimeter over the +ve and -ve connections on the starter with the multimeter set to VDC (should get around 12.4vdc?). and most importantly run a multimeter over your fuses one by one checking for continuity. I say, if you dont know check em all lol? I could be wrong with some of these tests so dont hold it against me :D .

hope you figure it out as even though your car is having issues now im sure when its sorted ull go back to loving it.

Pretty much the last few weeks my car has decided to break a fair bit, latest one is it won't start.

The starter motor was replaced by a rebuilt rb30 unit no longer than 2 weeks ago after the previous one let go suddenly and co-incidentally the only time i had the car jacked up to work on it (exhaust) since I bought it.

So I put this new one in and it winds real hard but every now and again had to give it a second hit of the key for it to spin.

Yesterday I pulled the switch for my boost controller out then put it back in and now my car won't spin starter, all dash lights are on. I can't figure it out, this stupid wagons officially become the most unreliable bucket of crap I've ever owned.

If anyone else has had any similar problems with theirs, help would greatly be appreciated.

Jayson

It sounds like your rebuilt RB30 starter isn't much better than the broken RB25 starter you originally had...

You can try bypassing the vehicle electrics & energising the solenoid directly from the battery - this will confirm starter function. If that's a no-go then the starter is the fault. If it works fine (and consistently) then the ignition barrel or wiring could be the issue.

Please make sure the car is in park/neutral & the handbrake is on before testing the starter - I don't want to hear about it if you run over your foot...

:D

AS I thought, it died again so jump started it and it loved it, so new battery. Been fine since until it cut off again just now. held the key all the way around and pushed accelerator and when it clicked the switch at full throttle it started once, no struggle at all winding over. Only once though, wont go anymore. Although the same thing happened when I wiggled the terminal with the key held and also some times with the key held it delays for a second then seems to wind over all of a sudden.

So rebuilt starter, new battery, cleaned terminals..... Def sounds electrical as when it does start it is having no issues winding over it sounds really strong.... No idea where to look from now..

AS I thought, it died again so jump started it and it loved it, so new battery. Been fine since until it cut off again just now. held the key all the way around and pushed accelerator and when it clicked the switch at full throttle it started once, no struggle at all winding over. Only once though, wont go anymore. Although the same thing happened when I wiggled the terminal with the key held and also some times with the key held it delays for a second then seems to wind over all of a sudden.

So rebuilt starter, new battery, cleaned terminals..... Def sounds electrical as when it does start it is having no issues winding over it sounds really strong.... No idea where to look from now..

I had the same problem 12 months ago and the place that i bought the stagea from said they fixed it, but no go.

Im a sparkie so its easy but fit a relay to the starter solenoid, some times the system cant supply enough power for the solenoid and it wont pull in, fitting a 40A relay will fix it.