SAU Community

Need Advice Sub +amp

t-griff

a good amp can make a cheap sub sing compared to a lesser amp.

a shit amp driving the worlds most expensive sub will always sound crap.

Budget first, rest will follow.

budget for a "budget" system should along the lines of;

Front Stage $300

Sub $200

Amp $500

double all those numbers and you've got my own system budget :P

if you haven't got $1000 to spend, don't look at amps and subs IMHO. the $100 or so cable costs would likely scare you off too.

well, indeed.

I find most people who want to do a "cheap" system don't even consider the cost of cabling at all!

$100 would cover shit cabling for a very limited system.

I just re-looked at my system list from two years ago;

Deck - $450 ($699 RRP now)

front stage - $560 ($899 RRP now)

sub - $350 ($469 RRP now)

amp - $560 ($999 RRP now) - fark me that was a bargain :sick:

Dynamatt - $290 ($350 RRP)

Cables - $194 (RRP probably double!)

Custom Enclosure - $259

it's basic in terms of complexity, but installed well with GOOD components.

my system is pretty balanced with good SQ and not outrages in terms of install - apart from the boot and the deck, you wouldn't know it wasn't stock until you turn it on.

also shows how easy it is to spend $4K in audio :)

They don't usually include installation either...

Once you deduct all of the extras the budget for gear gets even smaller :rofl:

to install all the gear above took me about 16hrs all up. Dynamatt alone was about a third!

a pro would be half that - with a help, but that is still approaching $700-$1000 to do the work!

You don't need to spend hundreds on cables, read mobileelectronics Australia about the cables arguments if you still think there is a difference in the cable.

A good cheapish amp is probably something from the Jaycar store, but have a look on mobileelectronics Australia.

You don't need to spend hundreds on cables, read mobileelectronics Australia about the cables arguments if you still think there is a difference in the cable.

A good cheapish amp is probably something from the Jaycar store, but have a look on mobileelectronics Australia.

for power and speaker cable all you are paying for is flexibility. ie: softer cables that are easier to work with. cause yes, copper is copper. but 4gauge power is like $10 a metre even for jaycar stuff. you'd struggle to use less than 5m in any install, 1m amp neg, 1m batt neg, 3m +ve amp - so there is $50 right there before you even start. Half the cost if you go for 8ga, which is what most people need really.

you then need 4 ring terminals ($3 ea for crimps) and two spade (ditto), a fuse holder ($15 round, $25 blade) and fuse ($5 round, $10 blade) $40-50 here.

now add 15m of flexi speaker cable for splits, and a few metres of some thick stuff for the sub - $40 easy, even for cheap stuff

then, RCA's - now this is where quality can make a difference, not silly $200 RCA's but it is worth spending at least $20 on a decent pair of shielded RCA's, jaycar 2m ones are $18 - you'll need 2 pair in even a modest install.

thats $150 for a single amp, 5 speaker setup (mids, tweeters and one sub)

it adds up - even for cheap stuff!

i couldn't hear much difference between $30 cables and $250 audision ones.

i guess it all comes down to how much money one has to spend

it all comes down to noise really.

you might not hear the difference between $10 and $200 cables, but spending $50 instead of $10 might be the difference between a noisy system.

speaker and power - copper is copper pretty much.

Okay, to answer the threads original question.

I sell packages where i work, which consist of:

1x KFC-3514DVC Kenwood 12" 400wrms Dual 4 Ohm Sub

1x KAC-8104D Kenwood Mono Amplifier 500wrms @ 2 Ohms

1x 500w 8ga Wiring Kit

1x Aerpro 12" Box

Usually RRP for about 500-600, i sold the last few for about $450.

Nice sounding entry level sub, they unfortunately dont manufacture them anymore, so a great time to buy as most stores are clearing their stock. I had a pair handle over 600wrms each continously in a customers car for over 2 years now, he gives it an absolute hiding, still going.

Stick with brands that have had a mainstream following for over 20 years, IE: Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, JVC, Clarion. As long as you correctly size your amplifiers accordingly with your woofer, you should be happy, and in the event that you aren't, they'll usually help out.

Steer clear of cheap imported rubbish, gear that is made to satisfy a price point only, bargain bin buying (unless its a good brand), buying from ebay, or buying a brand you have never heard of. If its only been around for 5 years its probably a good idea to research it properly first. If it claims to make 1000WRMS for $400, be very sceptical, check the voltage and THD at which their claim was made, and always pay attention to the CEA rating.

it all comes down to noise really.

you might not hear the difference between $10 and $200 cables, but spending $50 instead of $10 might be the difference between a noisy system.

speaker and power - copper is copper pretty much.

if installed properly there will be zero noise even with $10 cables .

Okay, to answer the threads original question.

I sell packages where i work, which consist of:

1x KFC-3514DVC Kenwood 12" 400wrms Dual 4 Ohm Sub

1x KAC-8104D Kenwood Mono Amplifier 500wrms @ 2 Ohms

1x 500w 8ga Wiring Kit

1x Aerpro 12" Box

Usually RRP for about 500-600, i sold the last few for about $450.

Nice sounding entry level sub, they unfortunately dont manufacture them anymore, so a great time to buy as most stores are clearing their stock. I had a pair handle over 600wrms each continously in a customers car for over 2 years now, he gives it an absolute hiding, still going.

Stick with brands that have had a mainstream following for over 20 years, IE: Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, JVC, Clarion. As long as you correctly size your amplifiers accordingly with your woofer, you should be happy, and in the event that you aren't, they'll usually help out.

Steer clear of cheap imported rubbish, gear that is made to satisfy a price point only, bargain bin buying (unless its a good brand), buying from ebay, or buying a brand you have never heard of. If its only been around for 5 years its probably a good idea to research it properly first. If it claims to make 1000WRMS for $400, be very sceptical, check the voltage and THD at which their claim was made, and always pay attention to the CEA rating.

excellent advice :up:

if installed properly there will be zero noise even with $10 cables .

I've seen some pretty shit cables. like, completely unshielded ones where it didn't matter where they were run they picked up noise, even from tiny factory power to things like interior lights. a set of $20 Jaycar ones solved the issue.

one rule of thumb with rca leads.

black and thin, throw them in the bin. they may work fine for home audio, but a car is full of noise and cheap rcas will let down your whole system.

as long as you pick up a decent rca lead like an aerpro double shielded set, you'll be fine. you need to spend accordingly on your system, as long as you pick some that are about 60 for the whole wiring kit, you'll be fine. just dont run the power and the rca leads together (including the remote signal).