SAU Community

Decisions Decisions....

dezzie

32 GTR looks hotter than a 34 GTT any day of the week .

Id got a 32 GTR for an "overall handling experience" or whatever it is your touting.

Dont forget to budget in a bit of cash for fixing the things that break every couple months, it can and does happen.

+OVER 9000 votes

or as monga says

buy one thats been built/replaced all the expensive parts as they are costly to maintain an old example

though it would most likely cost you mid 20s for one thats built

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit parted on this.

I reckon a 34 gtt might be better for you due to its age, but dont neglect a 32gtr. 34's are coming down in price and so are 32gtrs and you could even say they are around the same price(depending on quality).

You could even get a 33. they are common as, but due to the cheaper prices you could put your left over money into a few modifications.

32 Gtr is going to be my next car, but i enjoyed owning a 34 even though it was a 4 door, because it was a newer car (blah blah typical not a skyline experience with a 4 door).

Its up to you at the end of the day and theres plenty of helpful people that will be able to help you on this forum, just read around.

all very good advice thank you

i seem to have my short list on what to go for then :-

lucky find any GTR close to 20k as possible an pray i dont accidently get a lemon

33 GTT if i can find any for sale worth a look

finally the one that seems most viable the series 2 GTST's of which i have got 1 or 2 im looking at that look good cheap price

although i'll proberly still wish i had enough money to run a GTR just because who doesnt want bigger, better an meaner? :)

an bubba ... nice

Srsly dude, go drive a couple of R32 GTSt's, then think of what they would be like with an R33 GTSt engine or an R32 GTR engine.. I'm a big one for bang for buck (and I just don't like the way 33's feel.. except Pauls' :D)

Edited by bubba

There's pros and cons to going for a GTR or GTT really and it all kind of evens out. You said you want a head turner and a nice drive and in my opinion a R32GTR would probably be a better choice. I had a R33 GTST before I went away to Kal for 6 months and honestly the running costs on it is about the same as my R33GTR.

1 thing's for sure though is that I get more heads turning in my stock looking GTR than I ever did in my mildly modified GTST. It's true what everyone has been saying about the more you work the car the pricier the running costs.

Take some time out and test drive a few cars before making the big decision because nothing is worse than buying a GTT and regretting not buying a mint GTR instead. Potential wise, the GTR has more possibilities than a GTT although the age of the GTR might be an issue. I know with the amount I paid for my GTST and the money poured into it I really regretted not buying a GTR from the go, but that was many years ago when skylines were hardly ont he road and they were going for 25k for a GTST.

Well that's my opinions anyway.

Good luck dude.

In the interest of not being a lemon yourself, don't buy a 33 (you'll notice I tend to bash R33s around here...)

Consider importing a 32 GTR (cheaper in Japan but will work out to the same figure after importing and complaince) but you may have a bit more security with the condition of it.

R34s are newer and nicer, as has already been said, and probably in better shape, seing as R33 drivers cant afford a 34, they thrash the next cheapest option instead....haha

If you still have other cars as options on your board, you'll find a decent Supra for around 20k, or something newer like RX8s (if you're a girl...)

Wouldnt bother importing as your really just basing the condition of the car off the auction papers/your broker

Buying locally would cost the same these days as the dollar is down compared to the yen

You can get vehicle inspections, compression/leakdown test etc when you buy locally too

From my personal point of view, get a 32 GTR.

Sure it's getting old...but GTR will always be a GTR. Down the track, you can save up or even earn more.

If it's need repair and you can't drive it for a while, you can always take a bus.

I would happily drive a Kia if I have a 34 GTR. :D

Srsly dude, go drive a couple of R32 GTSt's, then think of what they would be like with an R33 GTSt engine or an R32 GTR engine.. I'm a big one for bang for buck (and I just don't like the way 33's feel.. except Pauls' :thanks:)

Hardly bang for buck there dude, once you have purchased a reasonable condition R32 GTST for $10,000-$12,000 you will require a decent RB26DETT which will cost you minimum 5 or 6k. Once that's done doing it cheap will require the RB25 box which is another $1,500 then install and other small parts required you will be tipping $20,000. Now your still miles behind the cheaper R32 GTR's but handing over the same cash.

Picking up a good R32 GTST with the RB25 already installed could be a great value, but there is better newer things available for the dudes $20,000 that he wants to burn.

on the other hand with a rb25 it only cost 1.5k manual r33 box 1.5k + labour

will work out alot cheaper then what mongas suggested

but by then you might as well buy a R33 GTST

ends up being cheaper, newer and less of an eye sore :yes: *flame suit on*

Let the R32 vs R33 debate go again.....

$8-9k for a 32gtst, $10-12k for something with suspension, exhaust, fmic etc.

$3k? for a halfcut.. that's your 25 and box right there.

Personally (and this is just my opinion), 32's look good, are light, fun and easily upgradable (specifically with parts of later skylines; brakes, gearbox, engine etc).

Even a 32gtst with a 25 turbo on there will make ~250rwhp and be more than fun enough to begin with and all the parts won't have "GTR" tax associated with them.

Depends what the guy wants and how mechanically knowledgeable he is, my 32 has had a few things go downhill on it. i.e. clutch/coilpacks/found some rust

I fixed these issues cheap due to people i know and what i can do myself, wouldn't of been the issue if it was someone else who doesnt know anyone/cant do anything themself.

Down under auto in Wangara has the most mint32 I've ever seen in my life for sale atm, factory weather shields and shit, mats are mint same with paint and that. If your looking at a 32 I'd go buy that one.

He has a Gt-R or two down there as well.

Whilst in Wangara, Distinctive Car imports has a few 34's and 33 GT-R's that are close to your price range.

In reality its hard to know what you like, but as a rule of thumb, the less you know the newer you should buy, also dont get anything with a 26 in it if you dont have deep enough pockets to fix it should the worst happen.

Clutches and coilpacks are almost consumables (clutches definitely are) and things that you should be banking on replacing anyway.

What it really boils down to (as Greg alluded to) is how much you can do yourself.. I do pretty much everything except machining, tuning and bodywork. If I had to pay for labour then I probably wouldn't be doing anything like I am as what I have spent on parts I'd have to spend again to get someone to fit them.

But, that is the world of modifications. You have your chequebook racers (ala Paul :yes:) and you have the people that do it themselves because they are passionate about it and like the experience/learning involved (and it saves a shitload of coin).

If you don't have the know-how or access to facilities/tools, then you better have really deep pockets if you want to embark on modifying cars.

I shall go back to the 32gtst though, they respond really well to basic mods. Hell, I paid $11k for my 32 a few years ago, it came with coilovers, split dump, catback exhaust, fmic. I spent $50 on a frontpipe and decat pipe, $500 on some 33gtst brakes and $500 on some whiteline swaybars and $300 on a 25 turbo (and later $400 on a clutch). Made for a fun little 250rwhp'd toy, took all the abuse I dealt at it and was my daily driver for a couple of years (even after the 30 conversion).

Unfortunately, as is the go with these sorts of cars, the power bug bit and it's been a neverending downhill slide for my wallet since :)

I would say buy the newer 34 GTT as it is more a sports car then a GTR - now i have everyones attention :P yes a sports car is rear drive and has been that way since cars were around i think of the GTR as a super-car the likes of Lambo, Audi and that P word :( so..

Sports = GTT

Super = GTR

my 20 cents.