SAU Community

Spec.dock

strydes

Ok, here is the follow up to my USA-Spec install for a while ago.

The Spec.dock is an ipod/phone dock made specifically for the 35 and is only available only from 2point5.com in the US I will start by saying it ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for. I had originally planned to get something similar made locally but in the end this made the most sense. I just told them that i had a USA-Spec adapter and wanted to use with an iPhone 3G and they sent me over the suitable dock and connector.

So, very easy install, just need to drill a hole in the back of the ashtray, and route the cabling to wherever you have secured your converter box. Secure it down with the pre-atached double sided tape and its good to go. Few piccies below...

as it came out of the box. USA-Spec connector one end, dock on the other

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

centre console where the converter box lives

IMG_0123.jpg

drilled out hole for the cable to pass through

IMG_0125.jpg

dog getting sick of me taking ages... doing a good job guarding my bike though!

IMG_0120.jpg

INSTALLED!

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

WORKING!

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

Sorry for poor quality pics, taken in the garage with poor lighting on my phone.

It charges and plays via line out. my only two small gripes are that the angle could be back a bit, its a little upright... and that it emits an extremely faint, high pitch noise, but with the engine on or even just music playing quietly its inaudible. So I can live with both of those quite happily.

Overall, very neat, extremely high quality build with integrated genuine apple dock, and accessible when needed. Highly recommended.

I just told them that i had a USA-Spec adapter and wanted to use with an iPhone 3G and they sent me over the suitable dock and connector.

I don't get it... what is being different with USA-Spec adapter? is it bose connectionn end, or apple in USA have different connector to Apple australia?

I don't get it... what is being different with USA-Spec adapter? is it bose connectionn end, or apple in USA have different connector to Apple australia?

nothing. to be honest I would like to grab that end as I dare say the controls are a Neo piece and it would work with the one i use here. would be even better if it spat out video as well.

Hmmm. Obviously didn't explain well enough, this is just a replacement for the cable from the USA-Spec PAC-11NIS with a neatly integrated dock rather than the normal plug thing.

So whatever the normal PAC-11NIS unit does this does, but has somewhere to sit the phone and neatly hide away when you don't want it. Therefore, the steering wheel controls works as do the ones on the phone itself.

The key with all this is that the if you were to use the normal Apple plug and connect a normal Apple dock to it (which I tried) it doesn't work, because the dock routes the audio to the Line Out (designed to connect to stereos), rather than through the charge cable. I realise that this makes little sense, but I cant explain it any better. I also have no idea how Spec.dock do it, but it works!

I don't have the pop-up screen, so hooking into that isn't a consideration.

Foo Fighters! Good choice of music :) Love that album too.

Have you tried driving around with the iphone docked? Does it fall off the dock on tight turns?

Because its an iphone specific dock it sits in really well. Wouldn't have it in there for targa west :bunny: but even hard road driving hasn't come close to dislodging it.

Something not designed for it though, like a Nano, could be a different story.

• 1 year later...

Hi Strydes

i am looking at ordering the same spec dock as you [no video] but with steering wheel controls

two questions did you need any extra cables or adptors for installation with the bose unit and how good does the iphone 3g handsfree work when recieving or making phone calls. :)

Looks Sweet. I installed a spec.doc a few months back but opted for the video out version and I think that it is well worth the money. It would be good if you could get the steering wheel controls and video but it seems to be one or the other.

I put this vid on youtube for another member a few months back that might help a few people see what it does.

V35 DAS

Mine doesn't work for hands free. if the phone rings it fades out music, plays ringtone but then it reverts to the phone speaker and mic. You can put on speaker phone but then you have to shout as the Mic is in the bottom cradle.

hope that helps.

ne need. BT control of the unit. did one about a week ago.

Sorry for my ignorance Chris whats a Bt Controll unit anyway gone off the idea of spec dock. iphone4 already needs different cradle looking at Parrot MKi9200

one question could the color TFT 2.4' be dislayed on the stock screen :(