SAU Community

Help! Porcilin Fell Into Engine

agsryd

had anyone thought to wind the motor over with the plug out and see if it comes out the way it came in??

i lost a chunk of throttle plate in my WR... it was a common problem apparantly.. chunk of alloy went through the engine, got gobbled up, mangled and destroyed.. and spat out the exhaust. i was 10 min from home and 10 min from work when it happened so i kept on my way to work... it revved like mad due to the hole in the throttle for a good 10 min.. and while it was goin i rode it as fast as possible to get off it asap..

put a new throttle plate in and started her up.. and away she went... happy days.. good compression, good power.. felt like it went harder too..

some engines are weak... some can swallow a small socket and just spit it out the exhaust.. but then again... ive seen the tiniest bit of porcelan completly shatter a rear window due to its hardness.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you manage to break ceramic off plugs when changing them? I just can't see how you can do it unless things are getting really crazy when you're under the bonnet

That was my thought..But look, What has happened has happened? Lets just fix it.. I can almost garentee your up for a re-build.. Dont just start it up and hope it burns or just clears its self out.. sounds like its mc screwed already but seriously dude your doing so much more damage if you keep running it? If its knocking that means that the internal parts are clashing.. how can that be "Normal" or "Ok"? If you want to well and trully blow it for another 7 months keep going with what your doing other wise you need to wake up and realise this is pretty serious and do it the right way not the short cut way and HOPE it fixes its self because it just wont mate..

harden up bitches

ive done this when pissed once

just idle the motor for a few miniutes

in my case i lost compression for about 2 minutes ( i think it jammed in the valve)then after a while it cleared up no dramas( eg crushed it out)

compression came back and i flogged the flamin mongrel out the engine for another 10k.. then re- built it

now i dont know if the rebuild was a result of my drunkan spark plug change????

haha fatz - ur farken smashed 1/2 the time on this forum

i'd do the same as what fatz recommends, if its damaged its already done so just drive it :P

breaking the ceramic part off a spark plug is probably the most common problem with noobs playing with engines. if you dont have the proper tool to get the spark plugs in/out you can warp it in a big way and the first thing to go is the ceramic part. just using a deep socket isnt good enough unless you know how not to f**k it up. but you guys are pro's right?

lol theres no way im a pro but ive neva broken a plug in anyway b4 :P lol i guess the only way u can break 1 is drop it in there, over tighten it, tighten it with the socket on an angle or use a rattle gun lmao!

breaking the ceramic part off a spark plug is probably the most common problem with noobs playing with engines. if you dont have the proper tool to get the spark plugs in/out you can warp it in a big way and the first thing to go is the ceramic part. just using a deep socket isnt good enough unless you know how not to f**k it up. but you guys are pro's right?

lol theres no way im a pro but ive neva broken a plug in anyway b4 :P lol i guess the only way u can break 1 is drop it in there, over tighten it, tighten it with the socket on an angle or use a rattle gun lmao!

LOL!

So true.. But obviously it happenes! We have all had our moments with cars doesnt matter who you are, We have all done something then gone ahhhh FU(K! and regreted it for ever lol.. Sometimes you can take small short cuts.. But with something in a bore.. Knocking.. Good luck!

I was actually curious as to how it could happen - I just use a socket wrench with a long extension and tighten the plugs up until they feel 'reasonably' tight and the texta mark I've drawn on the electrode side is facing near the inlet ports. I've never actually heard of this problem before, hence being curious as to whether it was extreme force on the socket wrench or something else that would cause it.

Why don't you just go to supercheap and ask for a porcelain magnet?

f**ken LOL!

still yet to touch the dam thing

though i wont be abe to see it ne porcilin as it will be covered in carbon

f**ken LOL x2. Man you'll see it easy as !

Why don't you just go to supercheap and ask for a porcelain magnet?

what a great invention, although scientifically probably not possible

on a serious note, how about an endoscope which has an opening claw on it or some type of sticky substance which can pick up the particles?

im thinking about when i drop a nut or bolt in my engine bay & the lengths i go to trying to retrieve it (with a lot of patience)

what a great invention, although scientifically probably not possible

on a serious note, how about an endoscope which has an opening claw on it or some type of sticky substance which can pick up the particles?

im thinking about when i drop a nut or bolt in my engine bay & the lengths i go to trying to retrieve it (with a lot of patience)

Yeh just put some blue tak on the end of some wire haha

I dont think a claw would do the job properly. If the chunk is only little just get one of those little flexi magnet screwdriver looking things and put some blue tak on it (not just a little bit so it falls off) and have a look inside. Ask your local doctor for a colonoscopy camera thing and stick that in there......in the engine.

How much are those little cameras to peer inside the engine through the spark plug hole?

If people dont realise how hard the porcilain is on spark plugs is.... crush up a few, then throw it at a old windscreen!

Just turn your car upside down and giggle it a bit... see if it falls out.

OR

Shoot your car into outerspace and maybe it will float out?

OR

Put a straw into the hole and suck really hard?

OR

Fill it up with water and it might float out?

OR

Put some gum on a pencil and wiggle it around in there...

OR

Heat the engine up and hope it melts out?

OR

Drill a hole in your pistson, so it can fall out.

OR

Pull the head off, remove the chunck, inspect your bore and piston carefully, replace your head and compression test.

Just turn your car upside down and giggle it a bit... see if it falls out.

HAHAHAHA!!! love it. Pullling the head off is the best option but it depends if he knows how to do it etc and can be bothered.

LOL ^^ man if he can't be bothered to fix it properly, mosewell just burn it.

You f**ked up, everyone does at one point. SOOOO learn from it, strip it down properly, inspect damage and replace parts as necessary.. Now could be a good time to build it...

Goodluck!

its quite easy for the porcelein to break off plugs... when people do them up too tight, the swing off an oversize bar to undo them, usually with a long extension to reach them.. thus putting a sideways strain on the plug as they lean on the bar. causing a bit of porcelein to ship off the plug.... now, getting it in the hole is the best part.. when you tip the bar/socket upside down to pull the plug out, chances are you will do it right over the hole, as its too much trouble to move away, remove it, then go back to the next plug... as the plug pulls out of the socket, the chunk comes with it.. then drops out, directly down the hole. now you couldnt possibly think that was going to happen so your not paying attention, your more worried about carefully placing the plug on the side of the engine bay.. or up near the windscreen,

so saying that, i think the OP is very bloody lucky that he saw it go in.. even if he has screwed the engine because of starting it, at least he knows what caused it and may get away with very little work required.. definatly worth taking the head off though... it really isnt that hard.

if it makes you feel any better, i lost a lens cover on franz josef glacier... went straight down a hole like it was a slip n slide, couldnt have done it if i tried.... stupid me tried to jump for it and nearly went with it.. fark that was close.