SAU Community

Patrol L28 Into C210

Gordie

Hey Guys!

Its time for a upgrade in my white sedan. L28 + 5 speed grin.gif

The L24 and auto in my white sedan has finally kicked it in.

So i got a l28 out of a patrol to put in it.

Now i need to change the sump and oil pick up to the l24 ones, but what do i do about the dipstick hole? just drill a new hole in the block?

Does anyone know if i can use the patrol clutch on a rwd gearbox?

Part numbers are different.

What gearbox can i use, im guessing c110/c210 ones are the same, but r30 ones are shorter? how about bluebird ones?

Gordie, I've got the L28 in mine. I have a tube/sleeve welded onto the side of my sump that is partly inserted into the sump. Works fine. Can put up a pic up if you want. You will need to extend the oil pickup to suit the oil basin, also not to hard.

As for gearboxes, the 2 mentioned are fine and any Z box will probably work.

Hey Gordie,

This is what they did to my F54 block re the dipstick. You can drill the block as it will look more original, as there is a flat that is where it goes. It's not an easy drill out, but still possible, as a few here have done it. If your going to drill the block, you have to be sure to blank off the rear oil pick up gallery just to be sure.

Cheers, D

post-2962-1261458405_thumb.jpg

As for the clutch, I'm not sure, but doesn't the Patrol clutch operate in the opposite direction as our L24 clutches do. I think your best served buying NEW clutches, as opposed to using secondhand, purely for the work effort needed to get them out once in the car. For a lousy couple of hundred dollars you can get a very good clutch, just make sure it's the right diameter. 225mm is the common for L24 & L28, but a 240mm option is available if you have the flywheel to match.

Cheers, D

As for the clutch, I'm not sure, but doesn't the Patrol clutch operate in the opposite direction as our L24 clutches do. I think your best served buying NEW clutches, as opposed to using secondhand, purely for the work effort needed to get them out once in the car. For a lousy couple of hundred dollars you can get a very good clutch, just make sure it's the right diameter. 225mm is the common for L24 & L28, but a 240mm option is available if you have the flywheel to match.

Cheers, D

Patrols are a push type clutch too. the one on the motor is only 1000k's old so would like to use it if possible. if not il just get a new one.

only differance in the clutch kit part numbers are in the pressure plate.

Got a better pic of where the dipstick goes though the block?

Forgot to mention the L28 oil pickup point is in a different position. When the L24 forward mounted oil reservoir sump is attached to the L28, it's to short as the L28 has a midway oil reservoir. It's no big hurdle.