SAU Community

First Cars Gone.. New Car To Learn In?

moj0

Ok, The first car I got just died on me. Got it with a few problems I didn't know about and its just going to cost to much to fix for the amount i paid for it.

Been thinking about a few diff cars lately, Mainly a R33 but also been thinking about a S13 / 180sx.

Just some stuff I been wondering. I been told alot that S13's and 180's are quite good cars to learn to drift in? I have been wanting to learn properly how to drift for a long time and now that i'm getting a new car I thought it would be a good idea. Still wanting to keep the car street legal tho :thumbsup:

What would you chose, if you where to pick one what would be a good car to learn in?

if you want the drift and jap scene cars then i'd go an R34/33/32 all model skylines are good (never had experience with 31's) if you want something different to say a clean 33... myabe a supra or FTO? I nearly got an FTO alright cars, good power just didnt want a FWD so you cant drift in them...

personally if you dont have the money for a N/A 34 then get a R33... manual. Quick cars, skids like theres no tomorrow and relaly easy to work on whilst being reliable! Probably pick a nice clean one up with reasonable k's for 10k mark...

Yeah, I been threw the shitbox stage tomorrow don't worry about that :thumbsup:

Sprinters are mega overpriced...

S13's and 180sx seem like a good price.

Don't really feel like spending around 10k on a R33 (Altho.. they are my favs) and learning to drift in it i wouldn't want to do any bodywork damage or internal damage to the car

hmm then probably go S13 if you dont wanna spend much on a car that u might damage... 180's im not sure how much they are non turbo but they're more expensive than S13's im pretty sure.

s13's are sick for learning to drift in.. my brother started off wit that car and loved the silvias so much has owned a silvia ever since.. so yeah go S13 man watching my brother learn to become wat he is now he has said so many times that the S13 was a perfect choice for learning in

is an S14 out of the price range? as S14's are a better choice as they are much easier to control and are less prone to understeer especially in the low end power ranges. they alos hav a huge aftermarket with heaps of availabilty - advice from my brother.. something to keep in mind maybe?

Edited by noely1

OEM NA 180SXs are pretty rare in Australia. Most of them are turbocharged.

If you wanted to learn to drift and it has to be NA I'd get a SR powered Silvia over a Skyline. The Silvia is lighter and shorter, so it's going to be more nimble. You're going to be lacking power no matter which option you go for anyway.

The longer wheelbase of a Skyline will make it more stable at higher speeds, but when you're learning you'll be doing low-speed stuff on tighter courses so the Silvia would be easier to slide.

toyota sprinters for drifting my friend. they are bloody insane. cheap as hell also.

they actually are a hard car to drift because of the short wheelbase. the only reason why people use them lots is because of the wank factor of them being used in initial D. i've owned a 180sx and a r33 and used them both on the skidpan and i actually found the r33 was an easier car to slide.

Yeah, Was at work today and a customer that comes in drives a S15 and I was talking to him a fair bit about it, he recommended me the S13 as a good car to start off in also :D

Still thinking it out tho :D

Reading between the lines here, I get the feeling that you are after a car that you can learn to drift in that is cheap and reliable?

One thing to consider if you are serious about drifting and you will be learning a fair bit, then you will loose the cheap and reliable part of the car.

If you need the car for everyday use, then you should really forget about drifting, no car is indestructible and all cars are expensive to fix on a tight budget...

That being said, i have heard good things about S13's.

You're sort of on the lines. I was meaning more towards it would be more easy for me to learn on something like a S13 or 180 because I been told there good cars to use AND the difference in price. I wouldn't go and buy a 34GTR to learn in (As nice as that would be)

I have a daily car also, even if I had a new car (Like the 33, s13 or 180) I wouldn't drive it everywhere anyway, more like a weekend car or a cruise car. Don't want to clock up Km's on the car driving into the city everyday and leaving it in a car spot, which of all things is in a ally way so yeah :)

Its not so much that i'm 100% serious about drifting like on a competition standard (I don't think so anyway) but about a year ago when my friend took me out in his car (designed to drift) and did a little bit of the dirty work with it i became mesmerized with the feeling.