SAU Community

C210, 308 Transplant

passin ewe

Thought I'd start a new topic regarding my transplant as I'll update this as it all happens. So far I have the Supra box, CRS housing and now a 308 from a VB commodore that has a rear bowl sump. It has been rebuilt fairly stock apart from 40 thou bore. I've also purchased some L34 heads and a 286 cam from a friend who is doing an upgrade on his 308. I'll get it engineered with the stock motor first then bang on some extra goodies afterwards. I was thinking I'd have to use a forward bowl sump(VK style) but after a bit of measuring it looks like if I shift the motor back 40mm I'll clear the steering arm that runs parallel with the crossmember. Once my motor is out I'll have a better understading of this.

Any valuable info appreciated.

The motor has arrived. 308 bored 40 thou, other than that pretty stock. But only untill it's engineered. I've already purchased some L34 heads and a 286 cam. In the next couple of days I'll purchase a 600 Holley Vac Secondaries and a set of HDT block hugger extractors.post-44326-1268297012_thumb.jpg

No FKN around, this I am guilty of. When i get an idea in my head I go like a bull at a red handkerchief party. I was going to take my time over the next 6 months, but WTF. I got a 650 holley Vac secondries today and the HDT extractors so the motor is really taking shape. Need to rip the L6 out now and have a trial fit.

Bty the way I really need some cheap arts. #1 being a oil switch( bit that screws into the left side of the block and # 2 being the thermostat sender thing just below the thermostat and has wires going to it which is for temp gauge. I have to adapt to the 308 and mine are sold with motor. Please help

You might struggle to fit any decent extractors in the engine bay with the steering box in there. A R&P conversion might make life easier.

I had a C110 with a P76 donk fitted, and it had some funky 3 piece header on the RH side to clear the steering box and extended sump (sump was heavily modded to clear the Xmember). It was a total pain to try and remove the exhaust. I started going down a twin turbo conversion for it, but sold the car before I actually did any fabrication.

That's cool - will be keen to see the finished product. I've seen other 240K's with v8's so obviously it's doable.

Thinking back it may have been the huge winged sump that made life difficult and not so much the steering box location.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a trial fitment today, and all looks good. Extracyors will fit neatly but I will have to get a forward facing sump. I may take mine to work and get it sliced and turned around, nuless I can find a VK one on the cheappost-44326-1270453041_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Naaa not that lucky. The 308 mounts are going to be custom and the gearbox mounts also custom. Iv'e adapted my alternator, temp sender and oil pressure sender so i can use my original wiring. Block hugger exhausts fit nicely and over motor fitment is like a factory made as my mechanic put it.

Motor and box are now a fixed item. Tail shaft will be done next week along with clutch assembly. Getting there. Overall it was an excellent fit. No probs with extractors, the gear shifter is about 1 1/2'' more forward than what the L series was but I may bend the stick a wee bit. Sits nice and low and bulk wieght is towards the fire wall.post-44326-1272018913_thumb.jpg

How long till she's a goer mate? Nice work buddy.

I will say sorry for the lack of faith and pushing you for an rb conversion. After recent thought, i have faith. This will be a beast! Bring on the youtube vids :-)

what will the rest of the exhaust be?

Datsun gear sticks come in an array of shapes. When I went to Z shop last I saw some of the sticks were straight, and some had bends in them. I don't know which model has which shape though... Hope you find something that suits.

post-44326-1272108197_thumb.jpg this pic is with the motor and box in. The front hasn't dropped any lower than when the L6 and webers were in it. I wieghed the motor on way bridge, 190kg without flywheel, carb and extractors. I'm hoping to have it running in about 3-5 weeks. Depends on the engineering and pits test. Better be off now as I'm of to see the Hudugurus, oh yeah!

Things done: Motor and box in. Tail shaft ( shortened and balanced in), new rear shoes and a new handbrake cable in, new dizzy in, all exhaust done. What's left to do i hear you thinking, yeah not much.

Radiator support needs doin, accelerator cable, hook up the MSD 6AL, heater hoses,windscreen squirty bottle, fuel line. Put oil and plugs in, "" THEN LIGHT FIRE"" Of course there is still to big red tapes to cut through, being the engineering and the pits ( test station). But the end is nigh.

All thats left to do now is thermo, Craig davies control unit,put new dizzy in and relocate the coil. Fire it up next Tuesday. I'll take some video footage and post on U tube.