SAU Community

Battery Goes Flat After A Few Days Of Not Driving.

mdang

I have a R34 GTR VSpec and the battery goes flat after a few days of not driving. I pulled out the fuse for the radio and don't turn on the alarm just to make sure it was them draining the battery. I was told that this is expected on a GTR and i should just start it everyday just to keep the battery charged. Does any other GTR owners have the same issue? Cheers

Edit: It's a brand new battery as well. Dry cell from Full river.

Edited by mdang

Hrmmmmm defiantly doesn't sound normal. Before you suspect anything major alternator etc. Do the basic checks make sure no interior lights are staying on constantly, the boot light being a major culprit be sure to check that.

Hope you get to the bottom of this.

Cheers

Process of elimination:-

1) when your old battery was working well, did the charge stay much longer?

2) assuming that nothing else has been added that can draw power since then, is the 'CCA' rating of your new battery the same as the old one - or is it too low?

3) leakage somewhere?

4) health of alternator?

I have a R34 GTR VSpec and the battery goes flat after a few days of not driving. I pulled out the fuse for the radio and don't turn on the alarm just to make sure it was them draining the battery. I was told that this is expected on a GTR and i should just start it everyday just to keep the battery charged. Does any other GTR owners have the same issue? Cheers

Edit: It's a brand new battery as well. Dry cell from Full river.

Hey mate,

this has happened to me before ( obviously not in a 34 gtr as im a uni student lol) but i was in the exact same boat. Everything was working fine and i didnt put my alarm or nothing on, but my battery was even draining over night. After screwing around with multimeters and getting no where, i took it to a mates auto electrician and it ended up being the alarm. I just got a new system installed and it was all good. Not saying it could be the same, but maybe just get it looked at cause i couldnt find anything wrong with the alarm at all.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have a 34 gtr but I had the same problem in my 33 which would go flat if it wasnt driven every 2nd day atleast. The bootlight was the problem in mine, and someone else above mentioned bootlights so they may be a common fault in skylines

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with an r32 gtr. But i can actualy hear whats draining the battery. Its located inside the boot somewere. It keeps sounding like something is trying to engage. For instance the hicas or attessa? or maybe even fuel pump. when the battery is low and cant engage properly it just keeps "knocking" sound for about 10 seconds. But when i jump start it turn the key to on position u can hear it engage properly. any idea's? its more to the very back for the car in the middle, below the rear lights.

to the OP, check your light in the boot

my 32 would go flat if you left it for a day but was fine if it was left for a few hours

turns out that when you closed the boot the light was staying on

to bogeye, do you have a boot popper for the boot?