SAU Community

Bonding Agent For New Sheetmetal Work

samstain

Im about to pot rivet in a new firewall over my fuel cell in the back of my track car. I want to use some kind of bonding material (like the factory stuff) to seal it, stop it rusting and resonating.

What to people recomend? Im assuming you can get some kind of sikaflex stuff in a caulking tube? It will be bonding a 1.2mm alloy sheet to the original metal floor to fill up this space:

4537304605_1841e5d7ea_o.jpg

personally i would use nut-serts/rivnuts to bolt the panel down and seal it with a stick on foam seal

but yes sikaflex will create a strong bond and comes in caulking tubes from supercheap etc

The panel in question goes around the battery box and the tank filler... so it can be quite permanent, there will be a foam sealed hatch over the fuel filler for obvious reasons.

I guess Ill just have to ask at the shop what particular compond to use, as there are a heap of different ones available?

been driving the car around a bit tonight with the ally sheet just sitting in there - while making up the exhaust. It was actually suprisingly quiet, I was expecting it to resonate like a drum.

I think Ill just leave it till I strip and paint the interior, then just rivit it down with a bit of silicon or something.

Edited by samstain

• 5 weeks later...

Marine grade 3M 5200... It will stick almost anything to almost anything. Most superyachts are held together with 5200!!! Ha ha ha... No really.

3M is heat resistant, flame retardent and chemical retardent. It's also the only product that Yach Insurace companies allow to be used as a sealant below the water line.

It's so frekin sticky that 3M had to produce a removing agent- nothing else will get it off.

J.