SAU Community

Need Some Questions Answered..

hey guys, lookin at gettin a 32 gtr from japan, found one for cheap to use as a race car, (thats all ill use it for, i have a work car) can it be licensed so i can drive it to a workshop or to the track and compete in targa events?

strictly speaking yes you can import a race only vehicle and register it as a rally car and under that registration it can be driven to and from workshops and to and from events (be them circuit events or tarmac rally events like targa tasmania). if you think however you are getting a cheap road car and plan to use it as you please then think again, the rules are very strict on how you can and cannot use such a car. also to import one you will need a cams NR or NC (national rally or national circuit) licence, some competition history and a clear plan of competition for the car you aim to import. to be honest given that R32 GTRs are quite cheap to comply and the only cost difference between importing a race/rally car and a road car is compliance and rego I would just comply and register it. it will do wonders for the re-sale value of the car, and then you can drive it on the road whenever you please.

to consider buying a race only vehicle you'd want to be pretty serious about your motorsport as it's a lot of money for a car you can really only drive on the circuit or in events and you will NEVER be able to fully register the car as with a race/rally import approval it will never be able to be complied and no you cannot change than once the car is here.

strictly speaking yes you can import a race only vehicle and register it as a rally car and under that registration it can be driven to and from workshops and to and from events (be them circuit events or tarmac rally events like targa tasmania). if you think however you are getting a cheap road car and plan to use it as you please then think again, the rules are very strict on how you can and cannot use such a car. also to import one you will need a cams NR or NC (national rally or national circuit) licence, some competition history and a clear plan of competition for the car you aim to import. to be honest given that R32 GTRs are quite cheap to comply and the only cost difference between importing a race/rally car and a road car is compliance and rego I would just comply and register it. it will do wonders for the re-sale value of the car, and then you can drive it on the road whenever you please.

to consider buying a race only vehicle you'd want to be pretty serious about your motorsport as it's a lot of money for a car you can really only drive on the circuit or in events and you will NEVER be able to fully register the car as with a race/rally import approval it will never be able to be complied and no you cannot change than once the car is here.

thanks, no i dont plan on drivin it daily. ive got a work car for that. ive worked in motorsport (namely drag racing) for the last couple of years. ideally i want to go drag racing, maybe go round a circuit.

Iron Chef - thanks heap mate, I can understand your quite busy, heard some good things about you, hopefully you can help me out!

drag racing is a tougher one. for some reason DOTARS don't see drag racing as motorsport. they pretty much consider tarmac rally and some national level circuit racing as acceptable motorsport. It certainly can be done though. but again, it's not the end of the world to import a 32 GTR and comply it. all the other costs (freight, broker, taxes, duties) are all the same regardles of whether it's a race import or a regular road use import. so the only cost saving in bringing it in as race use is compliance cost. once complied of course you can choose not to register it and just keep it as your race car, but the good thing is down the road if you decide to sell it or to drive it on the road it's a simple matter of just getting it registered. if it's race only import that option is forever closed.

in short, you can turn a complied car into a race car (and back again) but you can never turn a race/rally imported car into a complied (road) car.