SAU Community

Swap To A Different State

You need to cancel your current rego on the car in VIC, and whoever you're swapping your car with, they need to have it re-registered in NSW.

That involves, Blueslip, Greenslip, and a engineering cert if you have engine mods (the blueslipper will pick up on this during inspection)

Edited by Owens

Correct. You can transfer your rego into someone else's name in the same state as you, or transfer your rego into your own name interstate, but you can't do both.

As said, you will need to de-register the car and the new owner will need to go through the whole registration process from scratch.

also, just because you may be swapping cars (with no cash changing hands) you will both still need to pay stamp duty on the value of the car. Can't have the government missing out on its well earned revenue, now can we?

thinking about swapping my car with someone in sydney & i live in victoria, i need to get it roadworthy, does a victorian roadworthy certificate cover NSW? or do i have to travel to NSW & get a roadworthy done?

well most important to keep old rego much ezyier to swap over. then if the car is import then is more trouble there as well aspecialy if is imported under more then 15 yold rule what means u need engeniring certificate in each state as all difrent rules :)

sell it as is and let the purchaser do the transfer in his own state

Here in WA a lot of guys are buying eastern states cars and just having them inspected when they get them