SAU Community

Regency Vs Lonsdale - Vehilce Id Check

CONRAD

Hey guys,

Just purchased an Evo 8 MR from Sydney.

It's being transported here right as I type this.

Question: Is it better to go to Regency or Lonsdale for the ID check?

The car has mods:

Full exhaust

Haltec Computer

Cams

HIDS

I'm not worried about the cams, but everything else I'm sweatin about.

Will I need to take the car to exhaust tech. to have baffles fitted (just a regular turbo back exhaust).

The haltec is plug'n'play so I might have to find someone I can borrow a standard computer for a day.

Are HID's easily removed for a day - or is it a massive pain in the arse job?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by CONRAD

I took my 2010 jeep patriot through lonsdale for a ID check and they tested my window tint cos it looked dark. The guy next to me with a new lexus failed for tint to dark. They will check over your car.

when i purchased my v35 (stock) from Melbourne and took it through regency ID check, failed due to tint. I had to remove it in the car park and came back 5 mins later and passed.

the HID's will be fine aslong as they are auto leveling :)

No they won't, they also need to have a washing system, which no compliance workshop in Australia fits. If anyone has made it through with HIDs in an Evo, it's purely by luck.

Just remove anything obvious....when I took mine, they told me wheel spacers off and Fuel Pressure Reg, but I had bigger issues as car came from QLD and had a 'Mod Plate' for compliance in place of a 'Compliance Plate' and they refuse to recognise the mod plate...The guy at Lonsdale is a decent bloke but he works at Regency for the rest of the week so its same same...

I'd remove the ECU if you can borrow one, if its loud and cammy, def baffles in the exhaust, take the tint off the front windows atleast if its dark...by doing a few small things up front, it may save you having to go through a full inspection...dont give them the suspicion to begin with.

Just remove anything obvious....when I took mine, they told me wheel spacers off and Fuel Pressure Reg, but I had bigger issues as car came from QLD and had a 'Mod Plate' for compliance in place of a 'Compliance Plate' and they refuse to recognise the mod plate...The guy at Lonsdale is a decent bloke but he works at Regency for the rest of the week so its same same...

I'd remove the ECU if you can borrow one, if its loud and cammy, def baffles in the exhaust, take the tint off the front windows atleast if its dark...by doing a few small things up front, it may save you having to go through a full inspection...dont give them the suspicion to begin with.

????????

mod plates and compliance plates are two totally different things. in qld, if you modify your car and it is certified by an engineer, you then get a mod plate to say that your modifications are legal. the mod plate won't be recognised down here anyway, beacuse laws surrounding modifications are different from state to state.

i've never seen or heard of a mod plate trying to be passed off as a compliance plate. something's a bit sus with your car mate and i'd be asking questions.

????????

mod plates and compliance plates are two totally different things. in qld, if you modify your car and it is certified by an engineer, you then get a mod plate to say that your modifications are legal. the mod plate won't be recognised down here anyway, beacuse laws surrounding modifications are different from state to state.

i've never seen or heard of a mod plate trying to be passed off as a compliance plate. something's a bit sus with your car mate and i'd be asking questions.

Yes mod plates are different to compliance plates , in Queensland you do not require ADRs (Australian Design Requirements) for cars 15 years + imports .

In Queensland they just install new seat belts , run it through a workshop and thats it , dodgey as F......

When the car is taken from Queensland to another state thats when the trouble begins - child restraints , side intrusion bars ETC.............owned $$$$$$ for compliance!

i got thru regency with a turbo-back zorst, xenons, WAY too dark tint, front mount, lowered ride height - everything else standard. I took off the fat wheels, boost cont, turbo timer etc and cleaned it up nicely.

The guy who inspected (George was his name) was a champion - he said 'Mate your car looks a little bit lower than standard and your tint is WAY too dark. And im not too sure about those headlights either...get out of here mate'

I would trawl the evo forums for a standard exhaust and computer, there prob isnt much you can do about the headlights unless you wanna buy some cheap foglights and have a crack at changing them yourself - or pay an auto electrician a fortune to do it. im sure the guys on here will have some tricks up their sleeves :blush:

Its all about luck (if you leave the illegal mods on it anyway), and the only reason i risked it is because my missus told me to grow some balls and take it down there before the rego runs out :D

I pissed three times on the way.