SAU Community

E85 Fuel Setup? What Pump To Use To Fill Surge Tank

RB26DEBT

hey guys i am about to put in my new e85 surge tank setup and was wondering what pump i should use to keep it full?

it is 6.5L and has 2 bosh 044pums with -10 lines going to the pumps and using -8 lines as returns from fuel rail and feed to the surge from the tank and also as return to the tank..

what pumps would you guys recomend to use?

lift pump?? if so what kind?

I'd be ditching the two 044's and buying youself a 2000hp Weldon pump.

They will draw as well as pump, have a life time warranty and can also be rebuilt.

Normally I'd modify the fuel tank top to accommodate a -12 bulkhead with o ring seals.

Drop a hose down into the fuel tank from that bulkhead, the other end goes to your surge tank with a filter in line.

Once you initially prime the tank the Weldon will draw more fuel than your engine could possibly consume into the surge tank. Saves having 3 pumps, 3 possible failures, and the Weldon pump is reasonably priced.

You can also now buy them with a bypass reg built into the pump to eliminate a long return line.

You may want to keep the 044's but that's just a recommendation which works very well and keeps it extremely simple

chris, you need to cover the fuel going out of the surge tank mostly with the fuel going in. The fuel going out will be under pressure so work out how much is going out at max duty then work out with your lift pump under no pressure how much it can flow.

You can cut it fine and probably never have an issue depending on how much fuel you have going out of the 6.5ltr surge tank. (thats a big surge tank)

Most people can run the std pump but without knowing to much in you case i can see with twin 044's and 6.5ltr surge you are using a bit of fuel so what i said above up front applies.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not shure how long a stock GTR pump would handle E85... from a flow point of view, a stock GTR pump with no pressure infront of it will easily out flow 2x 044's with 70psi infront of them. I used to use my stock GTR pump as my lift pump (with the stock speed controll unit).

I've been saying it for years... but I would also suggest a single pump, such as a weldon. I have a 2345A for my next set up.... The weldon pump will handle any fuel you can imagine too...

Cheers

Justin

The 1100-A flow throughs have been my pump of choice for a while now.

They are quiet, easy to mount and really affordable.

I've used a few 2345-A pumps and had to use a speed controller with them as well. Found they were heating the fuel at low speeds.

No doubt they are some of the best on the market and the fact they have great warranty and available parts helps.

I used a new sportsman last week on an R34 circuit car which had an e85 conversion and was suffering irratic pressures from two 044's. Steady pressure from the internal regulator. I'll be using more of them.