SAU Community

Car Not Starting , Just Making A Poping Sound

dannk

hie guys wanted to ask my car is not starting , it just cranks and makes a poping sound, it has an check engine light on so iam suspecting coil pack failure, is this right, and also wanted to ask if there is a way to check if the coil packs are working coz coil packs a expensive especially when not positive that they are gone. any help thanks

yeah ive actually done most basic checks, have replaced the cas with a new one and checked for spark and its ther, fuel is flowing so am also leaning towards timing too, how do you check timing anyway , and also when you replace the cas does it have to at certain position?

I'd say that will be your problem.......

there is a guide on here to adjust the timing. The best way to check it is to get an ignition lead. Remove Coilpack number one and put the lead on the spark plug at one end and put a bolt or something in the end of the coilpack so you can put the other end of the lead on there. Then you can check the timing as usual

The loop method (wire off the ignitor) doesnt work all the time

Standard timing should be 15 degrees at idle (must unplug the AAC valve or TPS, I forget which one, have a search around here, the guide is somewhere)

To adjust, loosen the bolts for the CAS and move left to right till its 15degrees BTDC Cyl 1

Guys is ther anyone with an idea what can cause a car with fuel and spark not to start, have turned the cas all different ways thinking its the timing but still no difference , have called two different mobile mechanics now none of them can figure out what's wrong,please any ideas this becoming costly for me have changed the following so far ecu, cas, spark plugs,fuel filter. The most it does is cranks and then pop like a back firing sound, the crank shaft is spinning, so guys any ideas would be welcome , what electrics to chek for coz suspecting might be electrical , all fuses are fine, have swapped the relays around. , aslo the engine check light is staying on. So please any ideas.