SAU Community

Need Help Choosing What To Get, My Old Stuff Blew Up.

MrRx7s3

Hey guys, as my luck goes my audio system shit itself, the subwoofer blew which caused the amp to short out which caused the amp to blow my front speakers, now I cant decide on what to get, ive got a custom 15" enclosure for my subwoofer so Im looking for a 15" I'm stuck on choosing between 2, could anyone help out and let me know which one is better ill post the links below of the 2, also any recommendations on a good 4 channel amp that would run the sub and a pair of 6"9's because I dont like having 2 amps, I'd rather 1 powerfull 4 channel amp, or even a 5 channel so that i could possibly run some new splits off it, Im on abit of a tight budget so nothing way too over the top if possible, also what are a good pair of splits? thanks for any help in advance, I really appreciate this forum and all the help I get from it, thanks.

http://www.clarion.com/au/en/products/2009/audio/subwoofer/PXW1552/au-en-product-pf_1172419833548.html

or

http://www.ryda.com.au/Kicker-07C158-Comp-Series-15-Subwoofer-p/c158.htm

whats the difference with this one?

http://www.soundmaster.com.au/Kicker-C154-Comp-Series-15inch-Subwoofer/C154.asp

What type of music do you listen to?

It looks like the Kicker subs are quite rigid which means it will be good for quicker "kicking" bass with less distortion as the sub can more quickly return to its neutral position for the next note. While the clarion allows for more excursion which means a heavier kick but it will take longer for it to return to its neutral position - so under quick sucession of bassy notes it may start to distort.

I can think of many amusing analogies ranging from nerdy to inappropriate to describe how the two subs are different.

The most public forum friendly one I can think of is a spring. The kicker is a stiffer spring (tension not compression spring) so requires more energy to reach a certain amount of kick (excursion) however returns back with a snap; while the Clarion is a softer spring which will kick harder for the same amount of energy but return slower.

So my conclusion (probably wrong): Kicker if you listen to music which has a quick beat, Clarion if you listen to music that has a slow beat.

I mostly listen to more slower music chill out and that, not into dance and all that, howcome there's such a power difference? 750rms for the clarion and 350rms for the kicker, is clarion a good brand? I saw a pair of splits for the front that are clarion pretty up the scale with the power but also almost the cheapest, I know clarion used to be good back in the day but I don't know if there still good now or have gone shit, thanks for your help dude.

I wouldnt choose either one but you asked so hear ya go........clarion

really the biggest difference is the OHM load, one is 4 one is 8 ohm. dont buy until you budget the amp in .

a little on power rating.

depends on your amp , power and what ohm load it can handle.?

the box design , sealed or ported how big is the box in litres

and your max budget

how loud do you want it, give me a your fav band ?

most 5 channel amps are a compromise on max power and the others would exceed your budget easy, a 4 channel can run fronts/rears and a sub easy and more to choose from in 4 channel. even a 2 channel can run the whole car if you know what your doing .

what kinda car is going in RX7 based on your id ? year of car please, I owned a few....13 of them..lol and had huge systems

the other advice on this question is completely wrong.

Hey carbon, thanks for all the info, I got some early xmas pressies haha, I ended up getting a kicker sub, although I have a problem, when the music is turned down it kinda sounds like its blown but when you turn it up its fine and tears the car apart, what could that be from? and nah its not for the rx7 its for my r34 gtt, no point putting any speakers in the rx7, its a bridgeport music to your ears :D, besides its so loud youd need a $10k sound system just to hear anything haha lol, thanks.

that sounds wierd, what kinda box is it in ? sealed, ported ? size ? when you say blown describe the noise a bit better or record it on your phone or ? like a dragging voice coil sound ? or ripped surround loose sound ?

last time I blew a sub it caught the cone on fire and filled the car with smoke for second. at 146db

mmmm my old RX was a 12a bridgeport from racing beat in LA. cali home of the worlds fastest stock body car on salt flats in 86 and yes it attracted police a tad..full kit, roll cage, tube frame,,, but thats for another forum,,lol

yeah totally haha, umm it kinda sounds like you know the standard 15 year old sunburnt cardboard speakers when they rip yeah like that. Its in a sealed box, haha talk about smoke, thats how my old sub blew, im driving around mmm someones making a bbq smells good, 5 seconds later i realise its not the smoke from my ciggerate but smoke pouring from the back, slammed on the brakes, jumped out and ripped it all outta the boot and threw it on the foot path.

Could it possibly be that it sounds like that because the spider hasnt broken in yet? its quite stiff.

Edited by MrRx7s3

haha memories, mine was the same model year body style, you need the USA version panel to black out the center between your tailights and put the rego under the bumper looks way better that way, lower and complete......mine was painted that white from a newer model, the limited production model year in 90's, near 100% pure white, it turned bluish purple at night since it picked up the colour spectrum of the light . even whiter then the R34 is in polar white. porche whale tale ,the huge factory glass sunroof, full body kit tube frame from firewall forward, rollcage, 11,000rpm plus . racing beat in california, millen and another place in Signal hill cali makes some killer stuff for RX models.. have you ever been brave enough to run it open header and rev it up ? warning your ears will bleed, and flames will be huge. I'm not kidding the noise will bring tears of pain to you. the freq. is really brutal on your hearing. and will bring the police within a second it sooooo loud. even while racing in usa they require mufflers on all rotor engines or you get black flagged... they sound like a mad, crotch rocket /bee or they have a big cam lobe ..lol nothing could touch that car once moving, it flew even with a mere 300hp. they would loose cause the redliine was sooo high I just kept going while they changed gears 3 times..haha blew the motor racing a 427 AC cobra for top speed.... lost a rotor but it still ran for months on one rotor before it siezed , 500,00miles on the factory rear end, tranny, and first engine before it died , and it was raced ever weekend in the summer, and driven for 11 years in snow, and sun, think I held the record pulled over 17 times , no tickets in it.but police hated that car .. shame they cost so much in oz I loved it and would love a toy again.

ok I know its not audio..

it sounds like its not screwed down well or leaking air around it. when the volume is turned up you cant hear it over the sub bass. or you have a cable inside the box hitting the speaker cone maybe?

or bad box, broken inside somewhere, do you have a good seal, when you gentle push down the cone from the middle does it push slowly and firm ? or does it feel the same as wehn the sub was out of the box?

you might have a leak,

speaker cups leak all the time if you have some installed.

your sure its the speaker not something near it vibrating ? G/F vibrator fell in boot haha

are you sure its not used ?

it shouldnt make wierd noises , low bass yes, and no super loud while breaking it in.

without a sound or video of it its hard to say from here ?

could even be a amp problem

Edited by Carbon 34