SAU Community

Fixed: 2002 350Gt-8 Cvt Problem

I've had a problem on our 2002 350GT-8 sedan with the CVT box that has meant we couldn't take any long trips. I've spent 7 or 8 months trying to fix it and just about gave up. Someone on here had a similar problem to me but not identical and they replaced one of the speed sensors.

The problem occurred an a warm day but the CVT usually worked perfectly well in cool weather. After driving for about 25 to 30kms the CVT would go into limp mode as some would call it but actually got stuck in 3rd gear. Our car would give a very slight miss now and then before the problem occurred and then the tacho would go to about 4000 and you were history. If you stopped and let it cool down for 15 minutes you were usually right to go again and strangely many times it did not happen again unless it was a very hot day.

Anyhow, to cut a long story short: I decided to try replacing a speed sensor so brought one and while the car was being serviced I asked my mechanic to replace one of the sensors. He replaced the front one and 3 or 4 days later I drove about 30kms and the problem happened again. I went back to the mechanic and got him to put the old sensor back in the front and replace the rear one. That was about a month ago and I've had a few long trips in very warm weather and it works a treat. So at last the problem is fixed.

Some people say the sensors are on the side of the box and that is what i told my mechanic but after the first fitting he told me the sensors are on the front and rear of the box.

I bought my sensor from www.nissanparts.com.au via a contact form on their site but when I try to go there now my anti-virus kicks up a stink. Anyhow, the email I received was from Gary Smith on [email protected]

The part is a Sensor Assy part # 31935-5P002 and it cost me $220 delivered.

hi

just to touch up.. the one in the "front" of the box is a "turbine speed sensor aka input shaft speed sensor" the one in the back is just a " VSS - vehicle speed sensor" they use the exact same sensor. so they are interchangeable..

• 1 month later...

I was reading this post and it sounds exactly like the issue we are having with our car. It is nice to know that someone else had this issue and has been able to fix the problem. We have done the CVT service because it was needed anyway.

I must thank you for your information and hopefully it will be asw simple a fix for our car :):thanks: