SAU Community

Semi Slicks... Brands/grip/life

hellolimiter

I've recently been shopping around and found Toyo r888's to be quite cheap at the moment. They are nowhere near as good as the advans, dun lops, etc. I've done a few track days on mine and they're just above the indicators.

The ku36 is a decent sporty tyre (have run these street and track) as I assume the federal is, but for the price you will be mad not to go for proper r spec like the r888 (mine were cheaper than ku36 & $100 over federal for the set)

Ku36's are a "sporty" tyre. Importantly, they don't fall apart or chunk like many other road tyres do when ya push them. So from that perspective they are a reasonable compromise

But for the money, cheap r specs are the go, not just for the grip, but how progressive they can be when you start to loose grip

RE55s on an integra type-r lasted 3 trackdays plus about 6000kms daily driving.tyres make a HUGE difference to a cars performance-you get what you pay for more often than not.

Also havnt had these myself but very impressed with a friends Direzza Star Specs-excellent lap times and he claims they are very progressive and provide great feedback.

I would not knock r888s that much I got them and dz03 dunlops the dunlops are slightly better only just. However the r888s have done a lot more work then I will ever get out of the dunlops they chunk really bad. R888s never had that problem

Had R888's on my 32 and once warm could hold 2nd gear traction in RWD with 320kw's and they where 245/18's. They also lasted about 4-5 mallala track days.

Don't mess around with sporty street tires. If its a car for the track then get proper semi's. If it still has to do some street duties and you don't want to burn through them, get a second set of wheels to with some cheaper street tires. I've had R888's on my car for about 6 track days now, and they're pretty well rooted, but they're still good for 2.5 to 3 seconds a lap advantage over Potenza RE001 street tires. Best bang for buck upgrade you can do for your car, along with a proper wheel alignment and minimal rear camber (eg. adjustable arms)

I have heard that heavier cars chew them out a bit faster though.

if you have the cash i would suggest neova range but one of my favorites are the direzza's

Definitely agree on the Direzza's - last forever (3 track days and a time attack so far and still plenty of tread left). Good grip and you can still use them on the road without hassles and no need to get a few laps in either... just go for it :)