SAU Community

R33 Gtst Tune On 95Ron Opinions?

BL4KL15TD

Hi guys,

As above title says hoping to tune my series 2 gtst. Reason for 95ron is simply due to the fact my fuel card is limited to that type (free fuel) and only at shell. I'm aware power won't be the most I could be getting out the car, but are there any further implications relating to; engine life, increased knock, or any other major detrimental problems that could occur going the 95 tune? Is it worth saving all that coin... rather than just paying for the 98?

THe mods I'm running are:

-Garrret 2871r

-Z32 AFM

-Greedy emange ebc

-Boch 044 fuel pump

- TBE

-Pod

-Splite-fire coil packs

-HDI Front Mount

Thanks in advance :)

I don't know a whole lot about tuning but I believe they will have to pull timing so at least off boost it will be doughy how bad that will be i have no idea.

If your on stock injectors you will only be looking at 220rwkw's or thereabouts before they top out anyway so should be ok would be kind of interesting to see how it performs

You wont have any problems with the car running on 95 as long as its tuned correctly, but you'll notice a big big power drop, you want be able to run anywhere near as much timing, I can only imagine you'll loose alot of torque aswell. These engines were really designed for 100ron jap fuel so even 98 is a compromise at best.

Engine knock shouldn't be an issue if its tuned correctly for 95, any tuner who knows what there doing will allow a safety margin so it never knocks.

I think the question is why even bother running it on 95, if your fuel card is only for 95 then buy a daily and use the fuel card on that, I personally wouldn't spend money getting a car tuned for 95.

Thanks for the replies. Injectors, yes another aspect I need to consider! Any recommendations for a quick bolt on, easy fit option? Iv got the company Car which I drive to and from work only. Which probably would only accommodate 20% of my driving. Rather lose a bit of power and put fuel money to tyres more mods... Or consult the boss for a 98 upgrade. Either way will post up results :)

It's also the inconsistent nature of 95. The tune has to be extra conservative as 91/95 isn't really the best at all. From what I've read the quality varies more than it does with a 98 which is essentially the flagship petrol etc given cars that are standard ULP tuned aren't really too fussed about how good/bad the fuel is.

So in a boosted application you'll need to be careful as even factory turbo cars have PULP listed as the only option for good reason.

Also have you thought about what would happen if you get caught using the company card? Or do they know full well you'll be burning it up using on your own private use? Can't imagine a company would be happy with that.

I say go the 98 tune, use company car 80% of the time - don't need to drive a Skyline everywhere, you'll enjoy it more that way as well

Yeah 98 is the only way to go mate and BP fuels seem to be the highest octane and most consistent quality.

550cc (NISMO/Tomei) injectors are drop-in replacements and will be more than enough for a 2871R but then if you plan on upgrading the turbo and/or going E85 in future you might want more... 740cc or even bigger!

It's fair to say the positives greatly tip the scales in favor of 98, despite getting chest pains paying for it :P any recommendations on injectors to suit the 2871r now that I'm doing It all properly?