SAU Community

Do these plugs need replacing? pics urg

Hey Guys,

been having a misfring problem so decided to rip out the plugs. ECU is not giving any codes so I'm pretty strongly thinking its them.

I've got NGK Iridum's BCPR6EIX-11 which I was told by the mechanic who put them in are gapped to .8mm. ( I need to get a feeler I know)

In the pics, The one from cyc 1 is black (fouled?), the rest look fine so should I replace them all with coppers and gap to .8mm or replace the 1st one only?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Yepp, no.1 is a bit fouled, you should be able to buy just one and replace it cause the others look pretty good.

While the plugs are out, run a compression test if you can, see what the deal is with no. 1.

Also make sure they are gapped down to .8mm... Oh, and clean up the end of the plug where it connects onto the coil thingy (up top), maybe give it a light sand to give it a clean surface to transmit the electricity through.

J

Jay your a champion!! Thanks for helping me out again!

BTW ran through the ecu codes with the other lack of low down power and came up with code 13. Water temp sensor. Has now been replaced and car 'seems' to have picked up some mid range. Maybe the fault retarted timing or something? Dyno run soon will see.

Thanks again mate, I'll head out now and get a replacement and a feeler.

Cheers!

Well I ended up getting coppers (BCPR6ES) because A) no-where I went had them in stock without ordering them in next week and B) the gap on the current ones was 1.1m, and as you guys said gapping them isn't a good idea unless you want to break them.

I gapped them to .8mm and after taking my car for a hard 10min run on ~11psi (in like 7c ambient temp) I'm happy to say the misfiring has dissapeared when before it would have been chronic.

Thanks for the help!

maxim

what is you vehicle ??

because if it is a series 1 rb25det they have weak coils in them and sometime when they are trying to fire iridium spark plugs they dont work to well because of the lower grade coil.

if it is a series2 rb25det then you should have no problems running iridium plugs..

get some carby cleaner and give the coils a good clean with the cleaner , outside and up inside where the plug contacts the spring of the coil..

if you have something different then ignore the different series of coils info..

Hey Sato,

It's actually a 180sx with an series 1 rb25det conversion. I've got Splitfire coils which apparently are pretty good.

After I changed and gapped the new copper plugs seems to be running fine apart from some heitation on cold starts. Running 11psi on a cold (Canberra) night seems to be fine too.

I will clean the coils however as when I was looking at them seemed as if they had been in there for 100 years!