SAU Community

Noise

Hey peeps i have started hearing a " loose" metallic ish sound only when i go over a speed bump or going up / down driveways coming from the left rear almost sounds like rattling keys anyone else come across this or have any ideas

CAR is R32 gtr

Surely you don't have that much free play to suspect bushes. I have a sound which is just like yours a sequence of ting ting tings. Its my exhaust hitting my tailshaft when going over bumps or fast around turns. I can't see the bushings causing these kinds of noise especially if you don't have other symptoms. Get under there check the bushings out, you should be able to see such damage. Also check the clearances between your exhaust and the body/tailshaft. Also another common cause, depending on your exhaust, it could be the exhaust bumping on the diff housing. My old HKS did this, I glued a chunk of rubber to the exhaust in the exact point of contact. Shaking your exhaust generally wont recreate it, its kind of a trial and error diagnosis.

You could just take your car to a suspension shop get them to inspect the whole subframe and bushes see if they have excess play or are cracked etc.

As per above

- Get underneath and have a good look. Give it all a good shake.

- If you can't identify then take it into a shop and get them to check it out for you - Get a diagnosis and cost to fix.

- Ask them to show you so you know your not being ripped a new one. (some shops will !)

- Decide to pay or DIY.

Pedders lol. They're dodgy as f**k. You walk in there, you will almost ALWAYS walk out with a bill. They quoted me $1300 for some shit on my old car and the exact same number on my current car which has been fine for 2 years since they've checked it. Funny enough all the stuff they pick on is pretty cheap parts wise but always labour intensive, so you know they're making the most money out of you. Its not like paying 1k for suspension set plus install where they make a hundred out of you, this is about 300 in parts and 1k in labour.