SAU Community

Jump Starting the Beast

R33_BO

Hey guys,

I've just been down to the local 3 shop and got a sick new phone, and i must of been in a state of "OMG i've got a new toy!!" mind and I've left my headlights on for about 3 hours.......flat battery!!!

Which brings me to my question - is it entirely safe to jump start my R33 using standard jumper leads???

Or will it result in fryed equipment namingly the ECU or Turbo timer??

Any insight into this would be helpful as I'm supposed to be going out tonight and i could really do without the Taxi fares!! (damn John Howard!!)

Thanks

What does having the headlights on have to do with jumpstarting your car with an aftermarket ECU??

As long as you don't hook up the positive and negative the wrong way around you won't fry anything... its only from old crap computer equipment back 20 years ago that they had trouble with that...

Thanks ferni.........its just that i had never done it to the skyline before and i guess i overthought it a litlle bit!!

It turns out that I just turned everything off and let my car sit for about an hour and then tryed it - STARTED!!!

What does having the headlights on have to do with jumpstarting your car with an aftermarket ECU??

As long as you don't hook up the positive and negative the wrong way around you won't fry anything... its only from old crap computer equipment back 20 years ago that they had trouble with that...

Dude you dont kow how many people ive spoken to who are still parra about jump starting their efi car.

using 1.21 jigawatts to jump start the delorian is old news with todays hardware.Like u say hook the jump start cables up right and there wont be a problem.

:rofl:

Dude you dont kow how many people ive spoken to who are still parra about jump starting their efi car.

using 1.21 jigawatts to jump start the delorian is old news with todays hardware.Like u say hook the jump start cables up right and there wont be a problem.

Just remember to take them off when the car is started.

:rofl:

Ive jump started my car about 5 times, I keep leaving the lights on and dont hear the warning beep because of the turbo timer.

Nothings gone wrong yet.

Trust33: yeah i know lots of people are paranoid about jump starting thier efi cars... i'm just trying to show how silly it is etc.. :rofl: Also dont understand the whole grounding the negative as opposed to puting it on the neg terminal - do people realise the car ground goes to the neg terminal on battery? :)

with an aftermarket ECU you are supposed to jump start the car with the head lights on, but with the standard one i think it would b fine

Why exactly?

Ok well there is some misleading info in here...

This is from the best auto elec I know,

the standard and most ecu's can handle 14 volts before they fry,

When jump starting an R33 (this is what I have unsure for others) jump start from the power box under the bonnet not the battery as the ampage drain is huge from the battery in the boot to the box to the starter motor.

Start the car with the parkers/lights on, this will provide a small ampage drain and reduce the affect of a spike.

The spike arrestors that RACQ use are crap and in affect will unlikely help if there is a spike.

What happened to the good old days of getting out and pushing the car and quickly jumping back in and clutch starting the car haha ( thats if your battery isnt completly flat)

need abit of effort to push a skyline and goodluck if its up hill!

Had to do this once while i was with the gf....i pushed and she clutch started it. Had a good laugh

What happened to the good old days of getting out and pushing the car and quickly jumping back in and clutch starting the car haha ( thats if your battery isnt completly flat)

need abit of effort to push a skyline and goodluck if its up hill!

Had to do this once while i was with the gf....i pushed and she clutch started it. Had a good laugh

did this yesterday with my skyline, still works fine :P

...Also dont understand the whole grounding the negative as opposed to puting it on the neg terminal - do people realise the car ground goes to the neg terminal on battery? :rofl:

I think the only reason this is ever done is to take one connection away from the hydrogen creating battery... (ie. When you disconnect the negative that's on the frame or engine hoist hook first as you're meant to, the spark that is created is a fair distance away from the battery.)

This way, if there was enough hydrogen around the battery to ignite, there's less chance of setting it off.

Not really a problem on R33s, although make sure you jump start under the bonnet of an R33 - the enclosed boot around the battery bay would definately increase the likelyhood of hydrogen being around in there!

No hydrogen in the boot of an R33, the battery is sealed. That's why you don't hear of R33's (and any car with the battery in the boot) exploding all over the place.