SAU Community

sub questions

linxus40

ok im looking to put 10" subs in my boot running off an amp. if i had 800-1000watt subs what kind of power would i need from the amp to produce a good solid sound.

been looking at amps that have 2 by 200wat rms, is this too much or about right?

also still deciding on what brand/model components to buy. i have a budjet of about $700 for the subs and amp can anyone recomend some equipment that i could get within my budget that will sound good.

atm i just have a jvc head unit (4 by 50wat mosfet) running some clarion 6' splits in the front and 6' 2 ways in the back.

ps i know i should get an amp for the splits and 2 ways but thats all to come later on unless someone can recomend an amp that will run 2 subs splits and 2 ways all within my budget including speakers (doubt it).

looking forward to the advice

Jason

If you on a tight budget by the best 4 channel amp you can afford, aim for 4x75-100W RMS.

It would be a waste of time buying a 800W nominal speaker if you only have 250-350W RMS to power it, so I would look for a more efficient speaker, perhaps with a nominal power rating half of what you are looking at.

At the end of the day however speaker power rating will not mean much to you at all, I would be more concerned about the sound of the speakers you choose.

The 4 channel amp will allow you to run a sub and your front splits, less cost, wiring and hastle than running multiple amps.