SAU Community

Head units bought from US

GTST4G

Hey,

Seeing as a lot of u guys have bought head units from the US or other places, what happens with the radio??? Does it still work, cause I have heard certain sources saying that they don't? I know the standard radio from japan doesn't work so u need a band expander, is this a similar situation to America?

Thanks for any help

G

Guest [ryan]

i think it does

why buy from the US? theres plenty of good head units here in australia.

if the radio doesnt work you can still fix it with an fm band expander i think its called from jaycar electronics its like $30...

I've got a mate going to the US in a couple of weeks so I thought that if I can get the same head unit I want from the states for a couple of hundred bucks cheaper then I would go for it!! So yeah if i was to buy it then all i would need is the am fm band expander.

G

Guest [ryan]

You probrably wouldnt get anything cheaper there, than here..

But worth a try i suppose.

Also be aware it may affect the warrenty on the head unit, so it's probrably not a good idea.

Being from the good old US of A, I can tell you that all of my attempted scams, and importing ideas have ended up COSTING me money... I would take a good look within these shores before going to the foreign market. (I sound like a stock market guy!) Also, in the futures market, look at Beef. People love beef ya know!

Originally posted by [ryan]

You probrably wouldnt get anything cheaper there, than here..

But worth a try i suppose.

Also be aware it may affect the warrenty on the head unit, so it's probrably not a good idea.

if its a US make then its probably cheaper, but take into costs of exchange rates and tariffs if applicable

got my AIWA MP32 head unit from the US, cost me $189US + $30US Shipping. no tariffs in fact, coz i was buy internationally there were no taxes on either end (coz it was a once off), and with the exception of japan and a few countries, most countries around the world use 76-108Mhz or sumfin. Both the US and AU use the same freq range, so its all goot.

You might get taxed if you get your mate to buy it, but then it'll ofset the shipping cost for sure.

Get yourself a good Rockford Fosgate head units coz these are hella cheap compared to here in the US, also most headunits have newer models available readily in the US for cheaper.

That's my experience.

Hey lads,

I was in the US last year. I bought a Sony Active Black Display head unit (CD-M670 i think) over there and brought it back with me.

First of all, when I came back, it had not been released in Aussie yet. Secondly, when it did get released, I paid about $500 Aus. less for it then what it was selling for in the shops.

I installed it with no problems at all. I can get all of the Australian radio stations. My advice is to check the radio frequency band to make sure you can get triple j!

Eek