SAU Community

Where to Tune a GTR in NSW

Demon

Good post, Roy. Many valid points there. What ECU do you have and what is your opinion/experience with Quickfit as they are one of the workshops that I am also considering using to tune an Autronic ECU?

Well my old R31 GTSX was bought with an R32 RB20DET and LT8 in it. A well known Microtech shop had done the nstall for the previous owner. When i bought the car it was a case of, went well at full throttle, but off boost was a dog, and ran pig rich, and didnt get very good fuel economy or nice throttle repsonse. It did have a T3/4 on it but still:(

So was happy to drive it, as given some stick and onto boost it was a bit of an animal:) But it started playing up and pinging...so off to BD4s to have alook at it. They sorted out all the mechanical woes from the engine swap carried out by the other workshop....then it was shipped off to Quickfit to get the tune/electrics sorted.

The car i got back was far anf removed from the one i dropped off. The microtech did everything it shouldnt have been doing:) But it drove real well. I was very happy with their work, so much that i was going to use the Autronic in my R32 but im in Vic and ened up going to Pfc and Racepace for tuning...and once again very happy.

Form memory they quoted me about $2600 drive in drive out with the Autronic with password protection to protect me form myself...never driven one of their Autronis set up cars, but if they could get an LT8 workign as well as they did...id use them again if thats enyhting to go by, and in general chit chat have not heard a bad thing about them, Steve Cox has a good name, its just not in the Skyline/drag world, more hillclimb, club car stuff:)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what is a good tune? Can you really tell in one day? Have you even done a cold start in it yet. Just curious to know what makes you say great tune...and disclaimer, im genuinely interested to hear what ppl look for/expect.

My latest tune...I was happy with the power my car made, and happy with how it droove...but in the back of my mind ppl told me the engine is marginal at this level and the thing hadnt really been driven in anger or asked to put up with a cold night, hot day, different tank of gas to what it was tuned for.

So i was real happy with the first impression of the tune, form there all i could do was drive the wheels off it and see if i was given a grenade of a tune. After thrashing the wheels of it at Calder, Phillip Island, Sandown, and Winton the past 8 weeks in the rain, to 36 deg C days, it doesnt knock, starts and idles well when cold, doesnt miss a beat, and doesnt stall when dong quick u-turns, silly things like that. The more im driving the car the more im confident in saying the tune i paid for is pretty damn good:) and most importantly...me, the owner is stoked:).

So not saying yor tune isnt the money, or mine 'is the sh1t'. LOL...just points of discussion Just think with something as critical as tuning you need to quantify your results / findings a little more then with other mods, and you need to rack up a few kms before being sure of what you got. Or do you know within a few kms of driving?

Guest two.06l
I didn't say you can't get a perfect tune, I said there's no such thing as a perfect tune. Perfect for what purpose? Perfect in what way? There is always a compromise. You can always push it a little harder and make a bit more power and the expense of reliability.

sorry your statements are not making sense to me?? The thread asks 'where to get your car tuned'.......If I wanted to compromise I would'nt keep going back to CDR. You know what we use the car for, and thats what it's tuned for.

Seems to me that all you really want to do is have a silly arguement. All I am doing is giving praise where it is due.

• 3 weeks later...

The boys at Bel are working flat out to get the new shop up and running as well as having a new 4wd dyno log dyno installed so they will be doing dyno and road tuning . I think it will be worth the wait for some of you guys looking for a tune .

ok Im out of the country till nearly June now, and still have to bolt a fair bit of kit to the car on the return.... so I am hoping they are open and ready to go in the first week of june :P

will be good stuff!

Hitman gave me a quote of $350 for a road tune, $450 for dyno... seems pretty reasonable and he seems have gotten a good wrap from a few people on here. Now that BEL are getting a new premises with dyno does anyone know if they'll let you do a straight dyno tune, instead of having to do a street tune first? I just like the idea of a dyno tune more, seems a street tune would be limited by what speeds/gears they could get up, even traffic... :rofl: