SAU Community

Petrol Prices - don't know if you take this seriously

JXL

got this in an email

>Petrol prices - worth thinking about!

>I called the number on the bottom of the email, and it is for real.

This

>initiative does come from Barry Minster, worth calling and chatting to

him

>if you need reassurance.

>Apparently we are going to hit close to $1.35 a litre by the winter.

If

>this happens the prices will flow on down to the price of every thing

we

>buy! Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some

intelligent,

>united action. Philip Hollsworth, offered this good idea.

>This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain

"day"

>campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies

just

>laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt

ourselves"

>by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than

it

>was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up

with

>a plan that can really work.

>Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to

>think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at .89 / .95 cents, we need to

take

>aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace

not

>sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers

need

>to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol

come

>down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their

Petrol!

>And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

>Here's the idea:

>For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two

biggest

>oil companies (which now are: BP and Mobil). If they are not selling

any

>petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce

their

>prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an

>impact, we need to reach literally millions of BP petrol buyers. It's

>really simple to do!!

>Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll

explain how

>simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to a

lot

>of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)

>...and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...

and so

>on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we

will

>have reached over THREE MILLION consumers!

>Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (and

not

>buy at BP and Mobil) How long would all that take? If each of us sends

this

>email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 3 MILLION

>people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll

bet

>you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting

>together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please

pass

>this message on.

>PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 80 cents a LITRE

>RANGE.

>It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your

petrol

>at Shell, Caltex, GAS. or Gull Outlets and drive past BP and MOBIL

>Stations.

>Barry Minster

>State President

>Ex Service, Service & Veterans Party

>www.esvp.asn.au

>13 Ermington Place

>Kew 3101

>Telephone: 03 9816 9713

Good idea in a small way, but BP is the only one that sells Ultimate. The other thing, I think this email went round once before, and the trouble is no body seems to do it.

i thought this bit summed it up and thats why it wasn't taken seriously

The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt

ourselves" by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than

it was a problem for them.

This email came out when petrol prices jumped from 70c/L to 90c/L year ago... it didn't work then and I don't see it working now.

Most of the price is GST and state taxes anyhow. Hound the government to lower those and you'll get lower prices at the pump.

This email came out when petrol prices jumped from 70c/L to 90c/L year ago... it didn't work then and I don't see it working now.

Most of the price is GST and state taxes anyhow. Hound the government to lower those and you'll get lower prices at the pump.

But the major price increases are due to the cost of crude oil and this is passes on toi consumers via petrol companies. The funny thing is that the OPEC countries are supposed to regulate the production output of oil, and hence, control the prices of such essential materials as fuel. I wonder why? Must have something to do with a couple of wars in the middle east. :) GST and govt taxes make up 52% of the cost of petrol in Australia. I highly doubt that the govt is going to reduce its revenue from petrol.

Good old opec isn't it like 5 member board representing 5 Middle east countries that hold the whole world to ranson over their oil.

Oh well if only we could all afford an electric car as second to screw opec.

Why do OPEC restrict supply? to drive up the cost of oil and increase their profit. They do this because they can.

Basic economics, supply and demand v's maximum return. If you can sell something for 1 dollar more, and the resultant loss in sales means you are still making more money than for selling cheaper - you do it. Every large business does it, from supermarkets, to clothes manufacturers to motor cars to Banks.

And petrol, whilst you pay more now in actual dollar figures, during the first gulf conflict the price of petrol adjusted to current value of the dollar would be alot higher. But for how long is anybodies guess.

Interestingly I was reading an article by noam chomsky which described how the US in the late 40s and 50s began to convert western democracies and asian industrialised countries from coal based economies to oil based economies . Most of these nations were self sufficient in coal but had to rely on imported oil . By doing this and by controlling the supply of oil they basically had a strangle hold on those countries economies effectively taking them over . While the US is also dependant on imported oil it was considered that through massive military force they could control the world oil supplies and therefor direct supplies as required to meet their own demand .

and ofcoarse the rest is history

Its called globalisation.

We should all convert to nuclear power - fark the oil (uranium is much more efficient, and environmentally friendly). Then australia would become one of the world leaders ! C'mon Johnny, lets get the yellow cake flowing....

environmentally friendly aye?

Well you have obviously been hiding in a small box. Sure if we could get rid of the waste properly but we can't as of yet. Also cars would never run on uranium. Not in this lifetime atleast.

Also the country who sells it has to also get rid of the waste. Australia would be ****ed!

Well if you consider belching out millions of tonnes annually of pullution into the atmosphere 'environmentally friendly' what can I say???

One little ball refined uranium, that would fit in the palm of your hand will propel a 7000 ton submarine continuously for 15 years. How much fuel do you think a conventional submarine would use? Millions of tons of deisel.

Now, this contamination in the atmosphere isnt being cleaned up, all you have to do with uranium waste is dig a hole and bury it - we got pleny of room to dig a hole or two..... we could even just shove it down the holes made by the crude oil that is being sucked out of the earth.

Alot better than destroying the air that we breathe, and contaminating all life on this planet - no matter where they are, animal of vegetable?

When they finally do make a car that runs on nuclear power, (argueably solar powered cars already do this - the sun is just a huge nuclear reactor), the smallest amount (probably smaller than a pea) will power it for the life of the vehicle - so highly efficient its almost inconceivable. The turbo will be redundant :P

The logistics of it just dont balance up - IMHO, greenies have been scaring the shit out of people with alot of mis-informed propaganda.

Small amount of waste that can be disposed of without harm to the environment v's millions of tonnes of waste constantly destroying the planet at an ever increasing rate?