SAU Community

Intercoolers Hybrid vs GTR

Noticed people slating "China copies". First off, I thought they were all made of metal. But seriously, does anyone believe that all HKS, Trust, Blitz stuff is actually made in the Land of the Rising Sun - or is it more likely made in China, Taiwan or Hong Kong?

I'd go for a new one China, HK or Taiwan provided the factory vacuum brazes them and they're pressure tested. And at the price that someone is offering them on here as part of a group buy then I don't think you can go wrong.

Not all that comes from Japan offers value for money for a start. Consider clutches - I've got a superb Helix paddle clutch made here in the UK. Helix have done motorsport for a fair few years now and their clutches are about the best you can buy. The pressure plate only comes in a grey/black though. Pricewise, I'd have had to pay double to get one sporting an HKS logo along with some fancy coloured anodising - which is taking the piss as far as I'm concerned. Who really needs to bling the inside of a clutch housing?

']Only one set of the china copys Whistle this was due to the welds at the end-tanks, Once they knew about them they fix it up, so the chance u get a whistle is not low

I doubt its the welds mate. Have a look at the fin design between the first lot of china copies and then the Gen 2 or 3 copies, and you will clearly see the difference. The fins only run about 5mm deep, whereas on other coolers some of the fins run the entire depth of the core. Because there are 15 to 20 layers of these fins in a 75mm-100mm deep core they are more prone to giving off a whistle than a core that has only 1 fin going the entire depth.

JK

I had an R34 GTR cooler on mine, and was making 450rwhp, but when I upgraded to a 100mm Hybrid unit we were able to make the same sort of power at lower boost. I think the Hybrid units are very good for the price.

Need anymore be said?

Though usually you get what you pay for, this is one of the rare instances of a genuine bargain. I think there are too many people out there who think just cause its HKS or expensive, that its better. It may not always be the case. As for the comparison I requote:

I had an R34 GTR cooler on mine, and was making 450rwhp, but when I upgraded to a 100mm Hybrid unit we were able to make the same sort of power at lower boost. I think the Hybrid units are very good for the price.

Its just not good enough for me to use a more expensive second-hand cooler that has less effienciency.

Need anymore be said?

Though usually you get what you pay for, this is one of the rare instances of a genuine bargain. I think there are too many people out there who think just cause its HKS or expensive, that its better. It may not always be the case. As for the comparison I requote:  

Its just not good enough for me to use a more expensive second-hand cooler that has less effienciency.

Exactly...

all these young kiddies and newbies to turbocharged cars think they need to lash out excessive $$$ and have big brand name items on their car for it to go hard!

I know a few people who have tried to tell me Garrett turbo's are shit and they'd only ever get a HKS turbo... what little they know

Have any of you guys watched serious performance 6 and on it they have a look at what makes an intercooler good.

I remember part of what he was saying was that the gtr cores are good for what they were intended for and as he was showing the core he explained that they would not be as efficient at moving air through the core as an aftermarket 1.And i could see the size difference in the bars of the aftermarket 1 compared to the gtr 1.gtr was much more restrictive and they are thinner than a hybrid.

This would also not help when it comes to heat dissipation as the air would be trapped so to speak in the cooler for a fraction longer.

The end tanks of the gtr looked allright though.

My 20 cents worth follows;

There are 4 important things to consider when choosing an intercooler;

1. Cooling the inlet airflow (this effects the temperaturee of the inlet air)

2. The effect of the intercooler on the radiator (this effects the water temp of the engine)

3. The efficiency in passing inlet airflow through the intercooler (this is a measure of how much pressure loss there is across the core)

4. It's internal volume (this effects the throttle response of the engine)

No one intercooler is superior in all 4 areas, they all are compromises. An example, a 600 X 300 X 100 bar and plate is good in #1 and #3 but bad in #2 and very bad in #4. The standard Stagea S1 (same as R33GTST) intercooler is good in #4 and #2, not so good in #1 and very bad in #3.

I have chosen a standard R34GTT intercooler, to keep #2 and #4 at good, improve #3 a lot and improve #1 a little bit. That set of compromises suites my Stagea usage.

On the race car we use a 600 X 300 X 100 tube and fin. It is good in #1 and #2, OK in #4 and we have a big enough turbo not to be concerned about #3.

My personal favourite all rounder is the standard R33/34 GTR intercooler. Up to 300 rwkw they are very hard to beat, they cool well (#1), they show amost zero resistance at 45 lbs of airflow per minute (enough for ~300rwkw) (#3), they are designed by Nissan (tube and fin) to be good in #2. The internal volume gives good throttle response (#4) at standard power, so it is even better with faster airflow through the core (more power).

Hope that was of some help:cheers: