SAU Community

cam questions in rb20

just wondering would it be worth spending the extra money to get a good set of cams over a std pair of GTR cams when fitting into a rb20?

will there be a huge differnece between the HKS Step 1 256 degree, 8.7mm lift and standard GTR cams? will boost kick in quicker or doesnt it really matter?

yeah ive seen that but was wondering if the HKS Step 1 256 degree, 8.7mm lift cams would be a good upgrade on the exhaust side.

nengun have them for sale for r32, r33 and r34 GTRs and thought it might be a good upgrade for a rb20det because it wont require any head modification

any info?

found this on that link

The RB20 has 240deg - 7.8mm lift intake & 240deg - 7.8mm lift exhaust

The RB26 has 240deg - 8.5mm lift intake & 236deg - 8.2mm lift exhaust

so the 256 degree, 8.7mm lift would be a slight upgrade than a GTR cam

Buy an aftermarket cam for the RB20DET. Forget about cams meant for RB25s or RB26s. Get a Tomei/Greddy/HKS etc etc cam specifically for the RB20DET. Based on the experiences of Bass Junky nad his RB25, be sure that you have a turbo upgrade first, otherwise it may not give much in way of performance improvement.

Just some advice:)

I have a set of hks 264 cams in my rb20det now for the rb20 they have a 9mm lift no machining of the head was needed and the standard lifters are working ok .Hks as opposed to tomei cams from what my research has been able to find out have added to the toe of the lobe and taken of the heal of the lobe to get there 9mm lift as opposed to the tomei ones that just add to the toe for lift

Cheers peter

The 256 degree camshafts you are looking at are certainly not a scary upgrade. The standard FJ20 both NA and turbo variants run 256 degree cams on both the inlet and ex sides. You will make a difference by upgrading to 256s but I would recommend in the high 260s low 270s if you want something to really make a difference which still remains very streetable. I am looking at some 288degree cams for my engine but thats because I want to take advantage of the GT30 ;)

Tomei make some 260 and 270 degree cams in high and low lifts. Id go 270, then you can take advantage of the rbs smooth reving abilities.