SAU Community

Ticking all of a sudden

Boostn6Potter

Valvoline filters are bad. Far from being high performance. lol

I wouldn't go past genuine ~$no idea, Purulator (~$7), PureOne ~$14.

I'm currently running Mutol 8100 5w40. Its a pretty damn good oil but I am considering making the jump to Castrol 10w60.

• 5 months later...

You may wanna check ur oil pump, stick a proper oil gauge on it and get a reading, i had a VS commonhore that the oil pump was farked, no reading on the gauge unless revved i jus thought it was faulty gauge until i had it checked by a mech and got same reading. Stupid me did nothin about it and the car survived for another 5 months until it spun a rear main bearing and destroyed my engine when my oil pump finally died..... and with the ticking my R33 has also jus started to do this at idle not really noticable until you go into a surrounded area, but oil pres seems fine.

Has anyone actually resolved their ticking dilemma?

You may wanna check ur oil pump, stick a proper oil gauge on it and get a reading, i had a VS commonhore that the oil pump was farked, no reading on the gauge unless revved i jus thought it was faulty gauge until i had it checked by a mech and got same reading. Stupid me did nothin about it and the car survived for another 5 months until it spun a rear main bearing and destroyed my engine when my oil pump finally died..... and with the ticking my R33 has also jus started to do this at idle not really noticable until you go into a surrounded area, but oil pres seems fine.

Has anyone actually resolved their ticking dilemma?

good reply champ.

yes. out of all these people i think its a bit obvious stright away saying it goes away when you hit the gas pedal is because the oil pump works a bit harder to give it oil pressure thought the engine and the gauge reads 0 when its idling but gives a reading when you get up the revs..that my guess is oil pump for sure esspesially if the gauge use to work and there was no noise now there is noise and the gauge not working is to coincidental...

keep stock oil filter from factory nissan cant go wrong

Hmm... I have an R32 that gives out wierd oil pressure readings.

What should the reading normally be? if it's getting close to 0 when say i'm on the highway at constant revs is it something to worry about?

I don't have any noise coming from my engine like the other guy, i'm just abit curious as to why my gauge move around so much...

Yes i would be worried, mine generally sits close to 4 on the highway and drops to 1st notch on idle once everything is hot and the car is stopped. Jus cause its not making noise dosen mean anything, it will start making noise once it spins a bearing... i would be taking it to a mech and get a proper oil gauge reading straight from the block and if its the same replace your oil pump ASAP!, as they do wear out and is VITAL to ur engine surviving. Right now you are probably starving your engine of oil and it wont take it for long. If you cant afford straight away change to a much thicker oil for the time being to get some pressure back, but be warned the thicker oil will put more strain on your pump again. Hopefully its a dodgy gauge but very unlikely.

Edited by PowerupZ

Actually I think it is a dodgy gauge..

I watched it closely on the highway last time... it sits at about 2 when cruising... then all of a sudden will flicker down to 0, then straight back upto 2..

She will be going in for a service very soon so i'll have her checked out then..

Cheers!

2 sounds pretty high for idle once the engine is warm and has been driven around a bit. When mine is cold or jus warmed and haven flogging it, it will be like that. But generally once i have drove it for a while idle will be jus above 1. What grade oil are you using? Rev is normal at 4 for all the liners i have driven.