SAU Community

Hey Guys, I Would Love Your Input On My Setup

LatinR33

Hi guys, I just registered after reading through threads and I am amazed at how smart and car savvy the people in this forum are. Firstly i want to introduce myself im Justin and im in Sydney. I own a standard (only for the moment) series 2 R33. I was talking to a mechanic I know and after discussions on what i wanted out of my skyline he suggested 3 mods. These were-

*3 inch turbo back exhaust

*Front Mounted Intercooler

*Panel replacement air filter

Basically all i wanted were mods which would not make me fork out heaps of money in the end like boosting it,aftermarket ecu etc. Just a couple of smart mods which will make my car look,go and sound decent. Ohhh yeh he also told me not to get a BOV because they will mess with the air flow metre and with this set up I will get some induction noise as the front mount amplifies the induction sound from the standard air box and also the standard BOV. So yeh his a mechanic and all but this is a car that you guys know so well and for a guy like me who doesnt want some drag beast would this be a good way to go and ultimately can the standard R33 ecu the one which i have heard stories about agree with these bolt on mods?? sorry for the long post but yeh i really appreciate your opinions.

Hell yeah! Three inch is good, why not go 3.5? :D

You're going to need that intercooler, but I don't know about your air filter.

The air filter should be cheap but with an intercooler we're talking more money. Although you could probably just get some cheapo one. Exhaust pipes are cheap, you can get them from any car place, really.

And yeah you should do well with these mods, no problems at all.

Air filters are really cheap, but you're only talking about one, right?

What R33 have you got?

All the stuff you have said is more or less correct.

Recommended path for stage 1 mods:

1) Performance air intake (panel or CAI'd pod filter).

2) 3" Turbo back exhaust, upgrade to hi-flow cat.

3) FMIC

4) Boost controller to turn up boost.

That should see you to a tad less than 200rwkw.

Ive got a 1997 series 2 gts-t. The mechanic told me to be on the safe side to not boost and just do the above mentioned "breathing mods" for the engine and the car will run better and less restrictive after a ecu reset is performed. So yeh this is pretty much all sweet is it??? Id boost and do more stuff but not interested in having a super road warrior like most of the skylines in here just a nice running and reasonably quick car and I am moving out soon so yeh need money for that.

Hell yeah! Three inch is good, why not go 3.5? :(

You're going to need that intercooler, but I don't know about your air filter.

The air filter should be cheap but with an intercooler we're talking more money. Although you could probably just get some cheapo one. Exhaust pipes are cheap, you can get them from any car place, really.

And yeah you should do well with these mods, no problems at all.

Air filters are really cheap, but you're only talking about one, right?

What R33 have you got?

Don't know if you should be listening to the above as he is only 14 and doesn't even own a Skyline let alone a GTR... :lol:

But as others have said, you have a good idea about the mods/power you are after. Exhaust, FMIC and a K&N air filter would be my first few mods to help the car perform alot better than standard.

BTW Welcome to SAU, you'll enjoy it here.

Nath

Edited by NathR32

I'm in the same situation really.

Think the best way to go is:

Panel filter

3" exhaust system with a split dump

Intercooler.

Not absolutely sure when you need to start looking at a safc but I think after exhaust+ intercooler you're really pushing the limits of the standard ecu will accept and it'll start to run rich.

after those few mods (exhaust and fmic) you will need some sort of upgrade as far as the computer goes. a safc or a replacement computer.

i did what you have done and a few other things such as a high flowed turbo and a boost controller etc and mine was running fairly rich so i would recommend upgrading the ecu in the near future.

just what happened to me and what i would recommend.

welcome to the land of money pits and of course SAU.

well obviously you will need one if you go boost controller,hi flow turbo and stuff. But the thing i just want to keep it simple not as hardcore. The thing is im going to go panel,fmic and exhaust with split dump. Ive searched with mixed opinions. Just wondering what is the limit of the stock ecu. I know you dont a safc or replacement ecu for a exhaust and panel if so all skylines would be doing so but i think the front mount is the final mod you can do without changing ecu. This is the perception I have gained after reading a couple of posts and this mechanic guy. Just want to know if this perception is the correct one or is there more to it.

You gain very little (<10rwkw) from just putting a FMIC on. The point of the FMIC is so you can turn up the boost more.

Basically no point in FMIC if you don't turn up the boost (although some may say the FMIC helps in summer but I doubt anyone just gets it for that alone).

You gain very little (<10rwkw) from just putting a FMIC on. The point of the FMIC is so you can turn up the boost more.

Basically no point in FMIC if you don't turn up the boost (although some may say the FMIC helps in summer but I doubt anyone just gets it for that alone).

A lot of people even say you don't need a FMIC with a stock turbo, even if you're boosting it.

12psi seems to be accepted as the maximum "safe" day to day boost on a stock turbo. Running on 12psi with a stock turbo some people have said their charge air is fine with the side mount cooler. I wouldn't do it but that's just me... a GTR cooler is cheap insurance.

3" exhaust from the turbo back, a frontmount will let you use the most out of the stock turbo. On a rb25 it should see 200rwkw comfortably I believe - which is enough for now if the car is still new to you.

The replacement filter will just make it whoosh more. If you're using a stock for stock replacement filter then you won't have to do anything else. If you're going to go for a pod filter then make sure you put it inside a box or a partition so it doesn't suck up hot air. And if you use either - don't use an oiled element.

Good luck.

Yeah spooks, Yours sounds a little more realistic. 200rwkw is not very easy to acheive on the stock turbo. With all the gear you will be over 190 but for some reason the 200 proves illusive for most. I guess the thing to remember is that dynos are all over the place. On the same day your car could read 200rwkw at on place and 180rwkw at another place

Any way back to the question. All the stuff you have listed is fine, All of it will run on the stock ECU. However it will be much improved with the addition of a SAFC or other piggy back system

You won't get anywhwere near 200rwkw without leaning out your mixtures... you will see 10:1 a/f ratios at WOT without an SAFC or similar... an aftermarket cooler will have much less pressure drop than the stock one so you will be getting more airflow at roughly the same boost so its definately a good idea... just leave the boost under 10psi until you get some ecu tuning and you should be fine...

oh and if you ask me leave the dump pipe... I have over 200rwkw with the stock dump pipe/turbo... better spending the money elsewhere

Yeh well im definetly going to leave stock boost, im going exhaust and filter for performace and the fmic is more for safety and bling :P So I was hearing this set up left on the stock ecu will be fine will it without stuffing up my car?? I'll probs look into a safc later on but i would rather leave the electronic parts standard dont want to fool around too much with that stuff.

All the stuff you have said is more or less correct.

Recommended path for stage 1 mods:

1) Performance air intake (panel or CAI'd pod filter).

2) 3" Turbo back exhaust, upgrade to hi-flow cat.

3) FMIC

4) Boost controller to turn up boost.

That should see you to a tad less than 200rwkw.

200kw.....hmm what boost would he have to run to get that on stock turbo im guessing more then one bar of boost.

Ur mod list in ur sig has more mods then u stated and ur not even at 200kw....unless u up the boost more 15kw can be somewhat hard to get unless u go aftermarket ECU or get ur stock one tuned.....

Mate with those mods u would be getting about 150-160kw at the wheels on 12-13psi im guessing....

- Luke