SAU Community

Hey Guys, I Would Love Your Input On My Setup

LatinR33

At this present time yeh im pretty much wondering if it is ok to run the exhaust,fmic and panel filter comfortably and safetly most importantly on the factory computer alone . Good to see im not the only one :P

i wouldnt even worry about the front mount. When I had my r33 all i had was full exhaust/ cat, safc and 11psi.

And there were no problems at all. In my opinion youd be wasting your money buying one if your not going to go crazy with mods.

yer, if u arnet going to fiddle with the boost (i dont know why you wouldnt though) dont waste your money on a fmic as they arent needed

turning up the boost doesnt hurt anything though, and gets you better gains than most other mods, so im unsure why you are so against doing this

even with the standard ecu, it can handle extra boost

Ahhh no im not pretending to be someone else. I give you points for creative thought and actually spending the time to work something like that out. Impressive............ anywayssssss yeh well fmic would be for looks mostly as they look awesome. I dont take my car out to race tracks or the drag strip so yeh i have a good idea of how i want my car to look like and perform and this set up would do nicely.

In theory a bit more boost should make it to the engine with the aftermarket core?? I remember reading that the stock cooler looses around 3 psi across the core so if the after market one looses only 1 psi does this mean effectively you have upped the boost by 2psi as more is making it past the core?? Not sure on this and was wanting to know if this logic rings true :)

To put it as simple as i can.

It sounds like your mechanic is switched on and you should be able to trust what he says.

Everything he has said so far makes perfect common sense in modifying your R33.

I like that he has recommended a high flow panel filter rather then a crappy pod filter, and also the point that he makes about aftermarket BOV stuffing up the air flow meter signal is also correct.

Listen to your mechanic, have a read around these forums and you will not go wrong.

I'm with RB30... your mechanic sounds like a sensible and safe guy to listen to.

I have a series 2 R33 also, and i've got a K&N filter in the airbox.

I didn't want to start hacking front bars or anything like that, so I have bought an R34GTT cooler (plenty for sale on SAU). I'm yet to fit it, but they do flow better, are a little thicker, and have bigger inlet/outlets on the end-tanks. ARC make a SMIC (stock mount) intercooler which is made from aluminium, and is supposed to be several kilo's lighter than the original. The stock R34's make 206kw... so I figure that its intercooler is good for at least that much.

My next move after fitting that cooler is to get a CESRacing split dump pipe, then source an 80mm cat, and order an exhaust.

I'm quite tempted to dyno my car before and after to show the differences using a panel filter, R34 cooler, 3" exhaust... but it costs more money! =-[

Edited by RANDY