SAU Community

Hi Guys And Girls, Yep Im A Newbie!

As mentioned im a newbie to this forum, i currantly own a Z32 300zx, its a great car and has 220 rwkw, which is fun :( , but in all honestly i would love a whole lot more ( but who wouldnt ). ive been looking around for a skyline for a while now, but unlike the Z their is a whole lot of differant models to chose from. So firstly could someone give me a rundown on all the differant models, what they have or havnt got ect, ( or point me in the right direction to find out such information)

What im after is something pretty highly modified, and really am aiming for the 400rwkw mark, and i spose the question should be asked can reliability be kept with this much power :( ?? As mentioned i currently now rather little about skyline and endever to find out a whole lot more before buying one, so absolutely any info on any part of them will be greatly appreciated :(

And buy the way if anyone wants to buy a Z pop us a line :lol:

Cheers thanks!

I will put down all i know, (not much) but hope it helps,

89' to 94' R32, GTS (non turbo) then GTS-T (turbo), then the Ultimate GTR,

93' to 95' R33 S1, GTS & GTS-T

96' to 98' is R33 S2, GTS & GTS-T

Then there GTR,

R34, non turbo and turbo version, then the GTR R34,

If u wan 400RWKW,

i fink u gota get a GTR,

if money isnt the issue, then go for R34 GTR or GtrR33, bacause it newer, and has alot of potential,

thats all i know about skyline,

:D

cheers,

Cheers ZXFIRE, that is a great start :P , Sorry if i sound a bit naive but what i understand is that their is 2.5 and 2.6 litre engines and some have all wheel drive?

Do the GTR's have the bigger engines and the AWD, or does it just depend on the differant (later) models? ;) ?

Yeah and id love a R34 but id say a fair bit out of the old price range :rofl: .

Cheers and thanks again for your help!

and all other info will be appreciated.

R32 GTS-T and GTS-4 have RB20DET (2.0L turbo). GTS-T is RWD, GTS-4 is AWD like GTR. R32 GTR has RB26DETT (2.6L Twin Turbo) as does the R33 and R34 GTR.

R33 GTS-T (aka GTS25T) have the RB25DET (2.5L Turbo). R33 also has a GTS-4 model which is AWD but it has RB25DE (NON-TURBO 2.5L).

How much are you looking at spending?

If you're chasing 400rwkw, you'd probably be best starting with an R32 GTR or an R32 GTS-T with an RB26DETT conversion. Moral of the story.. RB26DETT is the most powerful skyline engine :)

400kw @the wheels is gonna cost a crap load of money. whether thats on a GTS-t or GTR, but GTR i imagine would make better use of the power with AWD system

(and would probably be cheaper in the long run..?)

reliability wise, i imagine if you are aiming for 400kw, as long as you're doing the right upgrades to the motor, i think either a RB20DET (GTS-t engine) or RB26DETT (GTR engine) wouldn't be much more reliable than each other..

however the extra 600cc from the GTR engine will make a big difference to the drivability of the car once you drop a massive 400kw making turbo on the end of it..

Thanks to cogs and danh for your replys, again helpfull info :) , Getting back to the amount of $ i wanna spend, well really still just looking at options at the moment, and am really looking for a car that has already been highly modded, cos we all know that starting from scratch it is way too easy to spend the $$. So i spose when the time comes and the right car comes up, i will obviously be wanting to see proof (recipts) of the mods being done properly and with good parts being used.

So its just a matter of waiting and researching :D , but f&*k im as keen as mustard :):) .

Cheers guys thanks again. ;)

reliability wise, i imagine if you are aiming for 400kw, as long as you're doing the right upgrades to the motor, i think either a RB20DET (GTS-t engine) or RB26DETT (GTR engine) wouldn't be much more reliable than each other..

however the extra 600cc from the GTR engine will make a big difference to the drivability of the car once you drop a massive 400kw making turbo on the end of it..

If you're going to leave the stock displacement (there's no way an RB20 is going to make 400kW with the stock internals, but your secod paragraph is comparing a 2.0L to a 2.6L) in both engines, the RB20 is going to have a hell of a time making 400kW.

Its going to have a work a lot harder to make that power than an engine 600cc larger, so in terms of "reliability" I'd find it highly unlikely that they'd be equal.

scathing

fair comment

i think this is one o those debates that could go on for a lifetime but logically...

if for arguments sake, you take the strongest/highest power rated internals possible for each motor, i dont see why the RB20 couldnt make 400kw?

are there examples of ppl making these power figures with the RB20?

although, yes if someone came to me and said i want to make 400kw and i dont care what shape, size or form the motor is, i would suggest a Rb26 over a RB20 anyday. simply because it is like taking the beaten track..

if for arguments sake, you take the strongest/highest power rated internals possible for each motor, i dont see why the RB20 couldnt make 400kw?

I'm not saying that it can't. But if you're going to force both motors to make that 400kW on a regular basis, the one with the smaller capacity will be the one that blows up first because it'll have to be tuned harder. Not to mention the power delivery not being as progressive.

When it comes to FI motors, you can make as much power out of whatever displacement you want....as long as you have the money. The 80's F1 cars made over 1000hp out of a 1.5L engine, but what's the likelihood of it lasting anywhere near as long as a stroked out RB26DETT or 2JZ-GTE making those kinds of numbers?

yep, definately agree..

i think i'm trying to make the sme point, but don't want to dismiss the RB20 from the equation.. or upset the GTS-t drivers out there...

it would be interesting to hear an engine builder's point of view on this one..

Cheers guys, Origionally i wasnt sure what model had what engine ect, now i know thanks to some help. And i too agree that it prob would be a better idea trying to push those figures out of a slighly larger than a smaller one.

An engine builders point of veiw would be greatly appreciated :D .

Cheers.