SAU Community

Stagea Door Deadening

Mr_RS4

Hey all,

I was lucky to get some pretty descent stero equipment with my stag but the install on the doors need a bit of attention as they were vibrating and rattling a lot.

There is already a DIY on the exact same method I used on Boost Crusing in there Tech section. So I won't go into pics or anything like that.

Basically I just got a few spray tins of K&H underbody sound deadener and a 1ltr of the same stuff but it brushes on and is much thicker.

After masking every this up I used the spray on on the doors themselves and also covered up some of the big holes with MDF. Doing about 3 coats also doing the stock plastic speaker mounts as well as spraying inside the door too (being careful not to get anything on the windows bits and pieces. Then I applied the brush on stuff to the back of the door skin and again did about 3 coats. This stuff is thick but spreads well. After letting them dry overnight I put it all back together. At first it didn't seem to make much difference but after about 2 days (this stuff must take a lot longer to cure than what the tin says) I have noticed a big change. In all but 2 tracks i've listened to so far haven't I heard any rattling or vibration. Much more up front bass. And a nice thump when I close the door.

So now when I get around to it next I'm going to finish it off with some extra matting like Stinger Road Kill or Dynamat something like that just to eliminate all unwanted noise. I could have just done that first but I wanted to see what the cheaper option was going to provide first. I was pretty impressed with only spending $50 on supplies and bout 1/2 day labour on and off. And I believe after this I will have a better result from just matting alone.

If by some chance you can't find the article on Boost Cruising then I did take pics with my phone camera which isn't half bad.

P.S Your car will smell pretty bad for a while too but you get used to it. Its almost gone out of mine now after a couple of days.

Edited by Mr_RS4