SAU Community

Skyline At Nurburgring

I was just reading this article on these guys at EVO trying to modify an E36 M3 to do the Nurburgring Norschlief under 8 mins.

Everyone knows the R33 GTR was the first production car to dip under 8 mins. But most say that it was slightly modified.

If so, what modifications would be required on an R32 GTR, R33 GTR, R34 GTR to lap under 8 mins?

It would definitely have had the limiter removed - it would've been tagging it for about half the track otherwise.

The only other mod made was to run on slicks, which makes a fair difference on a track that size.

I've got a video of the R33 run around the 'ring. It's certainly not limited to 180, but judging from the tyre noise I'd say it was running road tyres, not slicks or even R tyres, but good road tyres.

I've got a video of the R33 run around the 'ring. It's certainly not limited to 180, but judging from the tyre noise I'd say it was running road tyres, not slicks or even R tyres, but good road tyres.

semi slicks make more noise than road tyres. I have no idea about full slicks tho.

Yeah R tyres make more of a hum compared to a road tyre, but these were screeching sound under side load pressure, like a road tyre under pressure. The car was floating around to much to be on R tyres though.

The R33 GT-R that ran the 7:59 was a development vehicle. It was on at least semi slicks, and running non-standard boost (as well as the speed limiter removed). Not sure about the exhaust and other simple bolt-ons.

I believe, though I can't remember, that it may have had a full cage in it as well.

as far as i know it was the fastest production car to break the 8 min mark at the time. that is the record they were trying to beat. but any car that runs in this class has to be a full production car for the market for the public to buy and when thety test it it has to be in full trim and same specs as what they are on the road. thet technicality that the nissan GTR had was that it broke the record, but they didnt have a speed limiter on it ike the road going version which allowed it to make the time it did, so porsche (there main rival for the title) made sure that this was known and they didnt count the lap as a proper time for the car, bcoz of that. pretty stupid if u ask me, but rules are rules. if only nissan didnt bring there cars out with speed limiters......

Alright.... but there are other speed unlimited versions of GT-R's being sold. Not sure if the R32 GTR sold here was speed restricted or not. Anybody has any info about other attempts at the Nurburgring with other stock GT-R's?

The Jag XJ220 did a 7.30 years earlier,they did'nt class it as full production because the specs changed before the car was released.

The GTR was on road tyres.The R32 did 8.15 and the R34 ran a 7.53.

Everyone knows the R33 GTR was the first production car to dip under 8 mins. But most say that it was slightly modified.

7:59 - Nissan Skyline R33, unknown suspension & boost; no limiter (Autocar magazine 1997)

I am pretty sure it had performance tyres on too...