SAU Community

Teeth Shattering Suspension

I am currently running a King Spring/KYB Excel-G setup which is rock hard. Originally I found the set up not too bad, but still pretty damn hard when running 17" rims, but since I've put 18's on the set-up is just driving me nuts.

I've driven my mates R33 with 18's running dobinson springs on 18" rims and his seems like a limousine compared to mine and also sits alot lower, around 245/350mm between rims centre to guard yet mine only acheives 365-370 - only slightly lower than stock.

I cant work out whats going on, i've condiered the possibility that I was supplied GTR front shocks, or is it just that king springs are rock hard and not as low as others?

Anyone care to shed some light?

Double check the part number on the shock.It doesn`t sound right.Exel-G`s are just a little firmer than stock.If it is the right part then the springs are the problem.Unless one shock is faulty, but you would really feel it if three other shocks work normally.It wouldn`t be the first time a pimply faced sales assistant got it wrong though.

Double check the part number on the shock.It doesn`t sound right.Exel-G`s are just a little firmer than stock.If it is the right part then the springs are the problem.Unless one shock is faulty, but you would really feel it if three other shocks work normally.It wouldn`t be the first time a pimply faced sales assistant got it wrong though.

despite it being dark i just went out and had a look under the car with a torch... the only thing i could make out was BA20 stamped on the side, anyone know if thats right or not?

at a guess I would say it is a combination of your components. When my car got imported it had all 4 shocks replaced with the exel-Gs' to pass raws with the factory springs. When I drove my friends car (who had new shocks but sorced them himself and they were the same as factory valving but then fitted lowered kings) his ride was noticebly softer than mine with standard springs and KYB shocks even though his car was much lower. Then i drove a guys car that had a full whiteline kit and his ride felt exactly the same as mine. So I believe the KYBs must have a slighty heavier duty valving in it, this combined with a non-match king spring and what I would imagine is a very low profile tyre on the 18inch rim will give a harsh ride

Just a thought! Hope it helps!

My first suggestion would be to check the part numbers on the Kings springs. The correct Kings springs do not have excessively high spring rates, around 25% higher than standard.

If the spring part numbers are correct, then it must be the shocks.

Usually the primary reason for harsh ride in Skylines is that they are mostly too low, but with a ride height at 365 front and 370 rear, it is unlikely that is an issue with your car. Those heights are suspicious, usually with Kings they are 355/345, so make sure you check the part numbers carefully.

:D cheers :D

I just jacked the car up and i think i may have found the problem, The it looks like the car may be sitting on the bump stops at its lowest position, would this sound about right? looks like they've never been modified/cut?

I just jacked the car up and i think i may have found the problem, The it looks like the car may be sitting on the bump stops at its lowest position, would this sound about right? looks like they've never been modified/cut?

If it's at 365 mm ront and 370 mm rear it shouldn't be anywhere near the bump stops.

:( Cheers :dry:

If it's at 365 mm ront and 370 mm rear it shouldn't be anywhere near the bump stops.

:wub: Cheers :(

SK I mean't the front wheel was between 365 & 370 - I just remeasured then and It's probably closer to 365mm

I've taken a few photo's and am now pretty convinced that this is my problem:

Heres one with the car jacked all the way up and the wheel free to rotate:

cimg05105nf.th.jpg

Heres one with the car on the ground and the bump stop resting on the shock:

cimg05133xg.th.jpg

I Also got the PN for the springs: KDFL-101 These are listed by King Springs as the R33 and R34 springs.

Edited by MintR33

SK I mean't the front wheel was between 365 & 370 - I just remeasured then and It's probably closer to 365mm

I've taken a few photo's and am now pretty convinced that this is my problem:

Heres one with the car jacked all the way up and the wheel free to rotate:

cimg05105nf.th.jpg

Heres one with the car on the ground and the bump stop resting on the shock:

cimg05133xg.th.jpg

I Also got the PN for the springs: KDFL-101 These are listed by King Springs as the R33 and R34 springs.

What bump stops are those? They aren't the standard ones, unless they have been trimmed the wrong way ie: cut off the pointy end instead of the flat end.

This is a standard bumpstop, trimming is done from the top (not the bottom) to give some progression. Otherwise it slams into the hard stop.

Bump_Stop_Standard_Triming_Small.jpg

This is the style of bump stop I use in the Group Buy kit, it is soft and progressive in its action.

Bump_Stop_Comparison_With_Heights_Small.jpg

:P cheers :rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just got the car back from the mechanic and his opinion is that I have been supplied the wrong shocks up front.

SK you will be hearing from me soon regarding a new set of front bilsteins :P