SAU Community

Neons

bluer33

hi all,

Can some1 plz show me where is the door light switch is so i can connect my neon light to so its only on when the door is open. ive done search but can only come up rubbish.

Thanks

i hooked mine upto the doors from the i think it was red/blue wire running along the skirt near the boot latch on the floor next to the drivers seat in my 32 :P works when my doors open and when my alarm turns off, the neons fade on with the interior light :D

actually, there was a discussion about this in anotehr thread...

i know qld u can have neons, provided the bulb isnt showing, and you dont have emergency colors.. eg, red, blue, white, yellow..

best check up on vic.. u can normally find a pdf act on vehicle mods, and there should be a small section on " lighting "

not too sure on the installation though, sorry =(

Hi bluer33,

I regards to Neon lights (additional vehicle lighting) in Victoria, the following points may be useful to you. I have used these guidelines for the last few years on many cars and have had no major difficulties.

1 - Additional lighting must not impede access to the vehicle

2 - Additional lighting must not interfere with or impede safety features

3 - Modifications for additional lighting mounting points must not protrude from the body ( see vic modification guide)

4 - Additional lighting must have a seperate on/off function and cannot be directly linked to an existing vehicle system ( doors, lights etc)

5 - forward facing lights must not be red

6 - rearward facing lights nust not be clear

7 - red or blue light is permitted as long as they are not on the vehicle at once

(ie cannot have blue neon at rear - brake lights are red)

8 - lights must be of one color and cannot flash, rotate or turn

9 - instalation must include, on/off switch, fusing

For any additonal lighting for the vehicles interior, it must

- have an on/off switch and not rely on an existing car circuit

- be mounted in such a way that the source of light cannot be seen ( only the glow can be seen)

- be mounted in such a way that vehicle access or safety devices remain effective

- not be mounted within 300mm of the drivers or any passengers head in a normal driving position

In summary.

Green or purple are the safest colors, however no matter what you put on your car external neon wise, they really act as a magnet for the wrong type ( boys in blue) attention.

If you are prepared for this, perhaps you could consider LEDS over neons.

The advantages will be

- generally smaller lights to install

- brighter than neons

- last longer than neons

- LED's are more likely to be clean (electrically) and not give you that annoy pop through your stereo every time they turn off/on

- LED's use less power

Many retailers are now getting out of Neon with LED taking over, of all the retailers i have visited lately, an unlikely one has the best range and prices - Repco.

Please note this information is given in good faith, fitment of any products should always be done by a qualified person.

Hope this information helps.

FRX026

i hooked mine upto the doors from the i think it was red/blue wire running along the skirt near the boot latch on the floor next to the drivers seat in my 32 ;) works when my doors open and when my alarm turns off, the neons fade on with the interior light :mad:

i havent got red/blue wires. there are three yellow, black and red. what happend was red and black works only wen door is closed. i have being playing with the three wires but got nothing apart from the little head ache when door closed. can someone point me to the light plz ;)

Hmm, has been a while since i did it, so the colours may be wrong, umm i got a multimeter, put one on a bolt on thecar, and then played with each wire and pressed the door switch, when the wire grounds then that is the wire that does the door switch i think...

Hmm, has been a while since i did it, so the colours may be wrong, umm i got a multimeter, put one on a bolt on thecar, and then played with each wire and pressed the door switch, when the wire grounds then that is the wire that does the door switch i think...

did you have three or two wires?

did you have three or two wires?

will be two wires in the drivers door. thin red is the one you are after. drop the switch out and look at it from there. the wire runs up the front pillar on the drivers side.