SAU Community

Unusual Trans Fault.

sy300

Last night I was driving the wagon and I accelerated onto the motorway, got to about 90km/h and flicked the O/D on.

All the trans lights went out (gear position, and 'O/D off') and the car would not drop below about 3200rpm, I could accelerate over 3200, but when I took my foot off the accelerator, the rpm dropped to 3200 and would not go any lower.

I flicked the O/D on and off a couple of times, and cycled the 'Power-Snow' switch a few times, nothing changed. Then all of a sudden, it was back to normal.

I experimented with it a bit later, but could not get it to do it again, and it has not done it before last night.

What would/could cause this? Why wouldn't the engine drop below 3200 and why did all my trans lights go out?

Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? What did you do?

I would have said that maybe your accelerator got stuck somehow, but the fact that your trans lights went out throws a new spanner into the works, and that shouldn't have been even remotely connected.

Dunno. Strange!

Sounds an electrical problem or a jammed throttle, or a jammed throttle that caused an error code that the ECU tried to stop (not sure if it even does this)... really hard to chase down I would think, get the ECU checked for error codes, that is the only chance of tracking it down if you can't repeat it I would think?

good luck

Luke

It confused me as well, ironically I was just telling everyone in the car about how reliable it has been since I bought it.

Is checking the error code on the ECU the same as other Nissans?

Turn the little screw one way then back the other and count the flashes.

Anyone got a list of the error codes? All I can remember is 55 = no faults.