SAU Community

Are Spacers For Your Wheels Dangerous

I need some spacer for my new wheels cause they dont fit (doh). I am wondering if they are dangerous because they are illegal has anyone had any problems or safety issues using them?

Thanks for any help guys.

The slip on spacers are deemed illegal and dangerous because it reduces the stud length for the nut to thread on to. eg: I fitted a 5mm spacer on once and it only took about 6 turns to tighten the wheel nut. Without the spacer its normally around 12 turns...

I had huge dramas too last year when I imported a set of wheels from japan and they didn't clear the front brakes...desperate to make it work, I tried slip ons...then tried bolt on spacers..in the end sold the whole setup and purchased wheels that fit. The risk of having an accident and insurance not covering you was too great. At the end of the day a lot of ppl use them with no problems at all...its ur choice...just beware of the consequences.

Yeah, i had wheels that didnt fit over the calipers, and ended up grinding some off the caliper to make them fit. Ive got new front calipers on the way with a 32GTR disc upgrade to get the clearance i need now though. Personally i wouldnt go for spacers, i think they are illegal in WA anyway, but if you had to have those particular wheels, i would go the bolt on route, dont grind caliper (like me) it looks crap :D.

This thread http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...showtopic=84208 should help in wheel choice for sizing offset

cheers

Evil

Edited by EvilINGT