SAU Community

Power Steering Failure

jakegts

Hey,

I have a 93 Series 1 R33 with a Power FC & AVC-R.... Was Tuned about a year ago by Castle Hill Exhausts (Dale - Braidedlines.com - or austarletclub.com)

Recently i have noticed when the engine is particularly hot that i have the Orange HICAS Warning light come up on my dash. When this happens i lose all power steering and is difficult to drive.... Usually happens if i drive and shut the car down for only a few mins and then get back into start and the HICAS light is there and no power steering... The only way i can remove the light and regain the power steering is to let the car cool down by itself...

I very very curious to know if any other people have had or do have this problem too...

I also very curious to know if there is a solution to stop this from happening altogether... I hear that there is a HICAS blocker kit or something similiar...

If anyone knows anything and can help in any way with either a solution to stop the warning light coming up or with a price and/or a dealer who i can get a HICAS blocker from please post up in here or PM me...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks, Jake...

Yeah, i have plenty of power steering fluid...

another guy suggested that i just run a diagnostic on the HICAS itself with my Power FC and find the error code....

I going to get it re -tuned soon once i got the cams adn the injectors in so hopefully it will disapate after that...

yeh, you will probably need to run a diagnostic hicas test. Search around and youll find the way of entering it. To activate it in r32 you had to twist steering wheel left and right 5 time tap the brakes 5 times then slowly take off, orr something, but i assume the 33 is activated by a switch near the ecu or something.

It is usually one of your sensors not working properly. Mine messes up when i have over half a tank of fuel so im assuming its weight related and is causing pressure. If yours messes up with heat, maybe its a connection.

Im pretty sure on the 33's theres just a fuse you have to remove as its all electronically controlled, so have a search for the word "HICAS" or try "HICAS r33" and you should find something

i have the same problem as of today.. hicas light on and no power steering is not working. if i turn the car off then back on again it will work for like 20seconds... :D

Just my 20c worth.......

Something similar went on with my car recently. Looked at the power steering reservoir and the fluid level looked fine. Stuffed around for ages and decided to look at the fluid again. This time I removed the cap, took out the filter screen and viola......almost out of fluid!!

The inside of the reservoir had stained in such a way that it looked as if the fluid was at the full marker when in fact there was stuff all in there.

Just for a laugh, check the fluid level again before you go any further.