SAU Community

After Installing Bosch 040 Fuel Pump...

After installing a bosch 040 in my R32, when I go to start it I have to turn it on, wait for the lines to prime and then tap the acelerator pedal when turning it over.

If I just go straight for the start, it either takes a while (turns over and over and over) and then runs at a low idle until it gets more fuel and picks back up...

The car runs fine and has been tuned by Dr Drift since the install and had no issues...

I have just been letting it prime and giving it a pump and putting up with it but thought I would ask to see if anyone else has this issue...

NOTE* It has only done it since the bosch install a few months ago

Cheers!

Mine used to be a pain in the arse to start in the mornings on the stock ecu. The same as you describe. I do have a bosch pump and I can't remember if it did it when the pump wasn't installed.

Powerfc sorted that issue out for me.

On the stock ecu I also had a little idle hunt.

I can replicate the bad starts with the powerfc by pulling out some of the cranking ms at cold start temperatures.

I have a simular issue.

I installed a 040 intank and the stock reg was shitting itself because it couldn't handle the pressure. I installed a sard regulator and set it to 39psi base pressure.

Now that is is in and all working if I crank it over from cold It takes 3 seconds to fire.

If I wait on the ON position in the ignition the pump primes then stops and then I crank it over and it starts first go.

I have it wired as diredt feed from the battery using a relay and the standard pump wire feeding the relay. ala Cubes style.

The pump is a noisy bugger tho it gerbals and makes slushing noises when at idle. but performs very well. I kinda like the sound ;)

CEF11E,

Interesting...

I do remember when I had my bosch pump installed when I first bought my car (4years ago) the tuner said the bosch 044 pumps sometimes cause issues with the stock fuel pressure regs.

I had a 910 installed as back then it was 'only 200rwkw' that I was after.

Some Bosch pumps also come minus the anti-drain back valve thingo, that was the case with my 040, it would take a few seconds to fire up

Got a 044 now, and it came with the anti-drain back valve thingo, can't remember the exact name, but it works much better than the 040 minus the valve

Just sounds like they did not install the check valve.

Quite often performance shops / mechanics leave the check valve out so as not to impede fuel flow in any way - as the check valve generally has a smaller diameter. Just means the fuel system does not hold pressure without the pump running, hence you have to re-pressurise the fuel lines before you can start the car.

If it gives you the sh1ts, have them install a check valve (one way valve) - problem fixed.

My 910 used to be really bad when hot as it was external, that gurgle sound would transmit vibrations to the floor pan. Was nasty as.

I rewired the pump and its made the pump quieter and shifted the harmonics up so that it no longer vibrates anything. :P

Chris,

Does your 044 make those gurgling noises?

Darrens had his put in by Shaun and its pretty damn quiet, just the usual buzz.

Yer mine only ever buzzes quietly in the backround. Cant even hear it most of the time. Only time it gets annoying is on hot days (read 32deg+)...never gurgles tho....

Edited by Bl4cK32

Nah, mines quiet, unless its really low on juice or stinking hot

Not sure if I am 100% correct, but I angled my fuel return pipe away from the pickup with the 040 and all gurgling noises ceased.

Its caused by the pump cavitating the fuel (pumping air into it) due to its faster return from the rail with a high volume pump

Angle it away and the noises will stop :P

CEF11E,

Interesting...

I do remember when I had my bosch pump installed when I first bought my car (4years ago) the tuner said the bosch 044 pumps sometimes cause issues with the stock fuel pressure regs.

I had a 910 installed as back then it was 'only 200rwkw' that I was after.

I was running the big mother 044 or 040, whatever the external one is + surge tank with the RB25... never had a regulator blowing issue.

Will be doin the same for the RB26

I would suspect the pump maybe is getting too much voltage possibly?

Got the 040 in my 33, has the check valve and never had any starting issues. Very quiet, can only hear it when tank is near empty, and then it is noly a nice hummmm.

Awesome tip Chris.. :P

How are your cold starts now? I remember I heard it stall and stumble once? I dialed in 35ms for the +10 and 21 for the +30 and now mine is perfect.

Yeah, its all good now. I just added some fuel at one of the lower water temp correction points and took away some at the +70 point I think it was, but all sorted now

You find, with the gurgling pump, its only at idle or when you lift off, under load when its using some of that extra volume there will be no sucking noise, so by directing the return away it can't suck up any of the fuel thats come back from the rail

Glad I could help mate

I was running the big mother 044 or 040, whatever the external one is + surge tank with the RB25... never had a regulator blowing issue.

Will be doin the same for the RB26

I would suspect the pump maybe is getting too much voltage possibly?

He didn't say the stock regulator would blow it was more so it wasn't able to pass enough on idle, extended idling would cause fuel pressure to creep slightly.

You find, with the gurgling pump, its only at idle or when you lift off, under load when its using some of that extra volume there will be no sucking noise, so by directing the return away it can't suck up any of the fuel thats come back from the rail

It was mainly on idle which used to run the lower voltage but eventually it would begin getting noisy even when cruising, now as its direct feed its always on high so much better.

"couldnt handle the pressure"

i class that as blowing one :P heheh

Cant say i had a problem, i let the car idle for 5-10mins at a time regularly before i drove anywhere.

Interested in the voltage stuff too :P