SAU Community

Strange Noise Coming From The Engine Bay

R3LOAD

Hey guys, just recently i've been getting this kinda whistling noise (not very loud), coming from somewhere within the engine bay while driving.

It starts up when my rev's hit around 3,000. My boost kicks in at around 2,500.

Doesnt appear to happen at all in first gear, but every other gear onward.

Anyone know what it would be? The turbo, something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys, just recently i've been getting this kinda whistling noise (not very loud), coming from somewhere within the engine bay while driving.

Sounds like a leaking gaskets on the exhaust side, perhaps the exhaust manifold/head or turbo/exhaust manifold. Might have a few snapped studs on the exhaust manifold, its quite common

Possible exhaust leak?

Might be time to replace your exhaust/turbo manifold gasket.

Sounds like a leaking gaskets on the exhaust side, perhaps the exhaust manifold/head or turbo/exhaust manifold. Might have a few snapped studs on the exhaust manifold, its quite common

Yeh, had this happen to me not long ago, give it to the mechanic for a day and he will sort it all out

Yeh had the same thing, the 4 bolts that bolt the turbo to the manifold had come loose causing a leak

I had the same noise.

I had 2 bolts completely missing where the turbo bolts onto the exhaust manifold.

Put 2 new ones on and tightened the rest, noise completely gone.

Holy shit my cars been making this noise for about 6 months and gradually getting a lot worse and no one could work it out not even Unigroup they all basicslly said its a normal sound for a turbo on boost but i knew it wasnt coz it was 100x louder then normal and a squeel.

Well i just had a look at the bolts holding my turbo on then and i can undo them all with my fingers!!! I did the 2 on top up as tight as i could get them and the noise is 80% gone,

Im having a lot of trouble getting to the other 2 bolts down low does anyone have any tips on how to get to them and thanks a lot to the guy who posted up saying to tighten the turbo bolts this mystery is finally solved for me :)

I remember my manifold gasket took around 2 months to completely blow, during those 2 months the noise could best be discribed as a cricket on steroids.

So me and my mates nick named my car "the noisy cricket"