SAU Community

Sluggish When Cold

Helo can someone help, when i drive my car and its cold the car feels like its leaning out and its got a loss of power it then warms up bout quarter on the temp gauge and i gain about 650rpm without giving it any more pedal. anyone had this prob, i think its a sensor ore something

Helo can someone help, when i drive my car and its cold the car feels like its leaning out and its got a loss of power it then warms up bout quarter on the temp gauge and i gain about 650rpm without giving it any more pedal. anyone had this prob, i think its a sensor ore something

I think in general you will find almost any car will not perform to its full potential when it's cold.. And you shouldn't be flogging it when it's cold either.. Not sure what you mean about your RPM thing.. I know mine idles higher when i start it up so as to get things warmer quicker, then gradually settles down.

I think in general you will find almost any car will not perform to its full potential when it's cold.. And you shouldn't be flogging it when it's cold either..

I dont flogg it ive had many a car and i know it shouldnt be running the way it is, ive been told it cold be a temp sensor or the ecu

I dont flogg it ive had many a car and i know it shouldnt be running the way it is, ive been told it cold be a temp sensor or the ecu

it feels like its not getting enuff gas and when it heats up it just gives me shit load more power, i watched the rpm it shoots up 650rpms without touching the pushing the pedal more then what i am( while driving)

it feels like its not getting enuff gas and when it heats up it just gives me shit load more power, i watched the rpm it shoots up 650rpms without touching the pushing the pedal more then what i am( while driving)

Hmmm i know what you mean about the gas thing.. but the 650 rpm thing is new to me.. Maybe your ecu is getting a few odd readings, and is playing up a bit.

Hmmm i know what you mean about the gas thing.. but the 650 rpm thing is new to me.. Maybe your ecu is getting a few odd readings, and is playing up a bit.

Yeah might have to take it to get it diagnosed or something easiest way round it

My RB20DET does this, i used to think it was the auto but i've since done a manual conversion and it still behaves exactly the same. It feels like there's heaps of load on the engine even though there's not, then all of a sudden its fine!

You really should warm your car up for atleast a few minutes, i usually start her up 5 or so mins before i leave anywhere so its running op temp so i dont need to worry about not floggin her. And that 650rpm thing... Is that when you are driving say in first then change to second and you arent giving it any acceleration but the revs crop up a bit? Im just trying to understand what you are talking about....

the problem is in the ECU.

it is nissans way of warming up the engine with minimal stress on the engine. it goes into rich and retarded mapping up until something like 3300rpm or until you put your foot down a bit more.

do it next time you drive it cold, keep your foot at the same level and get to around 3300 and you will notice a sudden rush as the fuel and ignition maps have gone back to normal.

it is completely normal

I get a similar issue. On a cold start I have to give it some revs so it starts (otherwise it chokes). Then it idles at about 2krevs. Then i just tap my foot on the accelerator and it goes to 6.5k revs in no time, but doesn't seem like the engine is doing a lot of work.

I drive like this for a bit and after about 10 mins then it goes back to normal - i.e idles at 1krpm and the car feels more responsive.

I cleaned up the afm in the weekend and this has not fixed this. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Two issues:

1). Need to give it revs when starting the car up cold.

2). High idle until the car warms up.

I get a similar issue. On a cold start I have to give it some revs so it starts (otherwise it chokes). Then it idles at about 2krevs. Then i just tap my foot on the accelerator and it goes to 6.5k revs in no time, but doesn't seem like the engine is doing a lot of work.

I drive like this for a bit and after about 10 mins then it goes back to normal - i.e idles at 1krpm and the car feels more responsive.

I cleaned up the afm in the weekend and this has not fixed this. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Two issues:

1). Need to give it revs when starting the car up cold.

2). High idle until the car warms up.

I have had a similar experience.. although don't really need to tap the throttle to get it going.. Car feels like it doesn't want to turn over in the mornings some times, revs jump to around 1.3k stay there for a minute then slowly go back down till she's all warmed up again..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all mines just the same in the mornings thought it was the cold UK mornings.

Been told to put some pte ptfe ? not the tape but some supplement in the oil to help this.

But doesnt really bother me just get some boyracers in corsa's thinking iam taking the pi-s and going slow.

alot has to do with the air bypass valve/idle up controller when the car is cold... they start to stick, and do funny things when they get old... Another could be the throttle body all gunked up and until the coolant running through it is up to temp its not shutting prperly, try carbon cleaning it.