SAU Community

Finally Tuned And The Results...

moonus

Finally got my car tuned properly after i found the problem...it was nothing but a leak in my BOV. Before the problem the car was making 175 rwks. after we fixed it, it made 205 kws and once 207rwks. Picked up 30kws cos of that little problem. Thought it mite have been a block cat so i took that off, it wasnt it. Checked the afm, wasnt it. checked if one the blades had come off the turbo and it wasnt it. checked the lines on the boost controller. finally checked the bloody BOV.

Car: 1993 r33 gts-t

Mods: FMIC, BOV, blitz EBC, pod, slpit dump/front pipe, high flow metal body cat, Cat back exhuast, power FC and walbro 500hp fuel pump. tuned at just under 12psi.

post-29367-1161936033.jpg

post-29367-1161936074.jpg

thanks mate

no it was inside the bov itself. just inside the trumpet, there was a little black thing, so he pulled it off and it was just a rubber seal. i cant tell you nemore, but yeh after that it was fine. i remember before that, i was only starting to build boost at 3000rpm and full boost by 4000. now its boosting in the low-mid 2000rpm and close to full boost somwhere around 3000-3500 rpm. Yeh top end feels better, but mid-range grunt is more surprising.

thats a very good result mate well done to your tuner..i have exactly the same mods except for dump/front pipe and no high flow cat and im sitting on 174rwkw so im guessing this is the difference in getting near 200rwkw..well done

shouldnt it be making more? you got management etc, i made 196kw on 14psi(with an 18psi spike mid run) mods are same as yours except no cat and no pfc. this is on a rb20 with a suspected vg30 turbo im not trying to put your car down, its just i see these figures and wonder why my very very mild rb20 is up around the level of moderate rb25's

Edited by dead32

shouldnt it be making more? you got management etc, i made 196kw on 14psi(with an 18psi spike mid run) mods are same as yours except no cat and no pfc. this is on a rb20 with a suspected vg30 turbo im not trying to put your car down, its just i see these figures and wonder why my very very mild rb20 is up around the level of moderate rb25's

put it this way, standard trubo rb25det's max power is around 210rkws. A lot of people with the same mods find their power varies between 190-210 rwks depending on a number of factors: dyno, condition of turbo, engine, etc etc. You say you made 196 kws. now you arent too sure on what turbo u used. if you say its has vg30 housing running 14psi is fine and on a rb20det that power figure sounds about rite, but remeber im only running 12 psi becuase its a standard turbo. Also its not just the max power thats important. Ive noticed more power across the entire rev-range.

Edited by moonus

What makes you think its a VG30?

The R34 and VG30 turbo's are identical from the outside, the difference being the vg30 runs the small rb20 compressor wheel where as the r34 turbo runs a big motha comp wheel. There is a tip to identifying the sound of one... The VG30 spools quieter, more like a little buzz where as the RB20 and rb25 turbo's are louder and have more of a whooshing sucking sound, the reason for this is their comp cover inlet design.

Essentially from greatest power to less...

1. R34 GTT Turbo

2. R33 Turbo (Series 2 turbo's make same power just spool a little better)

3. VG30 Turbo

4. RB20 Turbo

And if your after maximum response with an ever so slight trade off in peak power... The R33 Series 2 turbo. Will still make up around 190rwkw on 14psi.

Don't be thinking if you throw a pfc in to yours you will make more peak power.. It won't, where you are at is where it will approximately stay. It will however pick up mid range, spool slightly earlier and be quicker simply because there is greater average power. How often are you at your peak power rpm compared to the rpm accelerating TO that peak power rpm. :sick:

EDIT: I see Steve is lurking around SAU quite a lot lately... Are you thinking about jumping back in to a Skyline Steve? hehe :sick:

ahh i get cha moonus, as for you post cubes, i was told by the previous owner it was a vg30, the turbo is deff not quite, it sounds like a realy high pitched whine, going by the boost spike/drop off, on my dyno run's im assuming the turbo has reached its efficiency level, therefore making good boost mid range but unable to flow it at high rpm, with same boost but larger injectors and a pfc i would assume with a deccent tune it would have to make 210-220? or am i dreaming?

ahh i get cha moonus, as for you post cubes, i was told by the previous owner it was a vg30, the turbo is deff not quite, it sounds like a realy high pitched whine, going by the boost spike/drop off, on my dyno run's im assuming the turbo has reached its efficiency level, therefore making good boost mid range but unable to flow it at high rpm, with same boost but larger injectors and a pfc i would assume with a deccent tune it would have to make 210-220? or am i dreaming?

I'd say it may just make that power... but at the end of the day it's still an RB20, so it's not really worth the trouble IN MY OPINION.

BTW, I made the exact same power (196rwkw) with an R33 series one turbo and chipped ECU, so your power output is pretty much the norm

went in this car yesterday!!! amazing difference the power fc has made all round...nice & smooth, barley any lag (compared to before) & pulls hard right through rev range...with traction & a bit of practice should easily get under a 13.5 all day long