SAU Community

RB25 Vs. HKS2835

Guest lextreme

Guest lextreme

Hey Gang,

I have twin T3 from the Nissan Skyline RB25. I was wondering which turbo would produce more power, the Twin T3 by Garrett (RB25) or Twin HKS 2835. I have seen incredible numbers from the HKS and was wondering if my T3 can do the same thing. Basically, I am asking which turbo or turbos would produce more power?

Currently, I am getting a forged built engine for my V8 and would like to know what is the max HP for the T3.

Thanks ahead.

Hi lextreme, you need to know something about standard turbos first...................

There are two problems with the standard turbo, both centred around the ceramic exhaust turbine.

Firstly, being ceramic the turbine is sweated/bonded onto the common shaft and therefore it does not like too much resistance ie; the exhaust is pushing the turbine while the compressor is trying to move air into the engine. Too much resistance (boost) and the turbine and the shaft part company.

The second problem is one of heat, the ceramic turbine will only handle a certain amount of heat coupled with this resistance. The heat builds up over several minutes of very hard driving (say on a circuit) and the turbine shatters or parts company with the shaft. Leaning out the engine to achieve more horsepower also increases the temperature of the exhaust.

Our experience has been that 0.8 bar (12 lbs) is OK for a road car as long as it is only in short bursts so that the heat does not build up. If you do any circuit work or long distance high speed stuff, then 0.7 bar (10 lbs) may well be the safe max.

HKS turbos don't have ceramic turbines so you are comparing apples with oranges. You should be asking about a hi flowed standrd turbo versus a HKS 25??.

Hope that helps

lestreme,

One of the guys off this forum is running mid 9 1/4mile with a 3L engine and twin HSK 2835R turbos - pumping out about 900hp.

He was trying to sell them recently too (check the 4sale) about $3600USD for the pair.

Guest lextreme

How does the HKS2835 compare to VG30DET turbos. I think the VG30 turbo is a T3. I have a pair of VG30 and i would like to know how much i can push them to the max.

Originally posted by lextreme

How does the HKS2835 compare to VG30DET turbos.  I think the VG30 turbo is a T3.  I have a pair of VG30 and i would like to know how much i can push them to the max.

Hate to start guessing, but if you look at the evidence:

VG30 turbos are a stock turbo (usually means somewhat conservative performance) and never really designed to be put through any sort of punishment. They are used by some as a cheap power upgrade, when mild increase in performance is wanted when compared to say the RB20 or 25 DET turbo.

The HKS 2835R turbo is built by Garrett - these are a serious performance turbo designed to cut it with the best. The turbo is built to HKS sepcifications (and parts cannot be sold to anyone else) who is a serious performance company. Their turbos are used by alot of people who are chasing serious performance - if they were'nt up to scratch people wouldnt use them at the prices they charge (as a rule - there are always twits out there that will use anything with a name brand on it to try and improve performance even if it is just a stiker:D )

Sorry I cant help you too much with actual comparisons. I think Meggala has used a VG30 turbo on his RB20DET???? Might be worth dropping him a pm.