SAU Community

Aerials.. The Ones Inside The Windshields

Ok i have a cracked windshield that needs replacing. The guy quoted me $160 for it and i was pretty cool with that, however he didn't realise i wanted a shield with the antenna on the inside of the glass (as r32's have) and said one of those will cost $600 installed. I can't really justify spending all that money for a antenna. If i just run the wires around the dash a lil will i get radio reception from the major channels or will it need to be clear of the interior a bit? I don't want an exterior one, they're fugly. Is there an interior replacement or something thats cheap and i could buy, that won't be visible?

Thx

i dont know if its the same for a 33 but looks like mine has an antenna in the rear windscreen and also has a motorised one on the rear quarter.. i know the one on the quarter panel is connected to my radio, just wondering what the other one was for?

sorry for hijacking thread

i dont know if its the same for a 33 but looks like mine has an antenna in the rear windscreen and also has a motorised one on the rear quarter.. i know the one on the quarter panel is connected to my radio, just wondering what the other one was for?

sorry for hijacking thread

You sure thats an antenna in the rear window of your 33 - mine is a demister (heater wire)!!!

well i know its got the demister ones but there is also some that are open circuit (as in they dont connect to anything else to complete the circuit) so i assumed it was an antenna of some sort

Edited by tek_01

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hijack the thread also, but was just trying to do a search for the answer to this question...

I have just got my r32 and there is the aerial in the windscreen. Where does the wire come out which is supposed to connect to the stereo? Cos the guy i bought it from coundn't find the wire when he wired it up, and consequently the stereo does not have radio. :rofl:

Anyone able to answer this? Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Jeremy

The wire will be a standard (may need a new coaxial end thingo to fit coz its japanese) type you will find in most cars so just look for a big black chunky cable, it's probably just hidden up a bit behind something.

Anyways, i got a new windshield in mine, was looking for a new antennae, turns out my radio works fine without an antenna, go figure.

The wire will be a standard (may need a new coaxial end thingo to fit coz its japanese) type you will find in most cars so just look for a big black chunky cable, it's probably just hidden up a bit behind something.

Anyways, i got a new windshield in mine, was looking for a new antennae, turns out my radio works fine without an antenna, go figure.

Alright thanks, I'll have a better look and see what i can find in behind the stereo/under the climate control etc. Should it be possible to see the wire running off the bottom of the windscreen to you know?

Oh, and good to hear that your's seens to work fine without the antenna - i wish mine did :rofl:

Jeremy

im just poking around in the dark, but is there something like a reception booster you can buy at dick smith?

if there is your might be able to hide it in your dash somewhere and have you 160 windscreen

Does anyone know whether it is possible to see where the wire runs down from the windscreen, or is it only possible to find it once it comes out somewhere under/behind the climate control? :P

Jeremy

Does anyone know whether it is possible to see where the wire runs down from the windscreen, or is it only possible to find it once it comes out somewhere under/behind the climate control? :P

Jeremy

Can anyone shed any light on this question?

• 3 months later...
im just poking around in the dark, but is there something like a reception booster you can buy at dick smith?

if there is your might be able to hide it in your dash somewhere and have you 160 windscreen

hey i'm having problems with my radio as well. Just wanted to find out if you did purchase a reception booster, and if it worked. Cheers

I had the same problem, no aerial coax visible after removing the center console.

I ended up buying a indoor aerial with booster from autobarn ($24.95).

It works OK but not as good as an external aerial, but at least I have a radio to listen to now.